Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Chaos expected as 30,000 public-sector staff strike
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Chaos expected as 30,000 public-sector staff strike

Re: Chaos expected as 30,000 public-sector staff strike 11 years, 11 months ago #31

CercP, your last few posts have been nothing less than a disgrace and resorting to the level of school playground personal attacks of your last post demeans you - not me. So I will not be responding to you again - grow up.

Re: Chaos expected as 30,000 public-sector staff strike 11 years, 11 months ago #32

• Concerned ERC Parent
A disgrace? School playgrounds? I thought we didn't have those anymore as they are for portacabins?

Na, I think it's funny/humour and as most posters will tell you when folk ask you questions sometimes you can go onto waffle in a style, likening you to, how would Rab put it? An auld jakey?

Or maybe it's a tactic to deflect an awkward question for you - when you get pressed on questions like:

How can you back this when you used to be a police officer? (Which clearly says much, much more about you than me)

or

How can you back this when we'll need a new school anyway and the same thing will happen again?

There is no point you responding anyway as you don't see things through.

James Bond had odd job and it appears we have half job as you are very much part of the issues we have and you do not want to explore potential solutions. So from now on i'll be referring to you as half job.

Incidentally where is Rab? I was looking forward to his take on the election results?

Re: Chaos expected as 30,000 public-sector staff strike 11 years, 11 months ago #33

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Re: Chaos expected as 30,000 public-sector staff strike 11 years, 11 months ago #34

• lgm
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 - 2005 ~~~

Re: Chaos expected as 30,000 public-sector staff strike 11 years, 11 months ago #35

• Concerned ERC Parent
If we are bagging thousands of public sector workers, are there enough private sector jobs for them to go to?

I would assume that there wasn't when Gordon Brown was in power if he was getting the numbers down and those were meant to be the good times, so where would all these people go now? I'm not saying people should just be employed to keep the numbers down but as always good people will be affected.

I read somewhere that there are hundreds of people applying for your average job.

I'm not sure if it's fair to suddenly take someones pension away from them, maybe the best approach is to reduce it for new starts then people will know what to expect?

At which point if there are other jobs to go to they may find they have to put the pension back or increase the wages to attract people to the job.

We do heavily rely on these jobs.

Re: Chaos expected as 30,000 public-sector staff strike 11 years, 11 months ago #36

• lgm
We rely heavily on some of those jobs. Front line police, nurses, firemen, binmen, teachers. We do not need all the admin staff or jobs that were created for the sake of it. I have worked in council offices, where the regular 'workers' spend most of the day standing round the water dispensers, chatting. Seems to me, a lot of those should get their jotters...no better than the young people criticised in another thread....doing everyone a favour just turning up....don't expect us to work as well.

No, there are not enough private sector jobs for them to go to, but we cannot afford for our taxes to pay for non-jobs at the moment. To be honest, we never could. Paying for an over-populated public sector helped create the financial mess we are in...if more had been done back then to encourage private sector jobs and less money wasted, we would have been in a better financial state to deal with the banking crisis when it occurred. We need people to be earning their wages producing something and keep the public sector as efficient as possible. It does not generate wealth, it supplies services we all have to pay for, Dead weight is not acceptable.

It is difficult to get the private sector to grow with high taxation, high wages and so many employee rights, when we have to compete with the likes of the Far East where people work 6 day weeks for low pay and have few of the benefits we have. Low overheads make for cheaper products.
However, wage bills over there are increasing now as the people want what we have and this will help level the playing field in time. Some businesses are already moving back here, but not enough as yet.

We also do not generally support our homemade products...we (and our potential foreign customers) want to buy cheaper imports rather than pay what it costs to manufacture over here. So our manufacturing was lost....even essentials like the produce from our agriculture had cheaper options abroad.

We demanded our chickens here,for example, are not too intensively farmed, have happy lives etc, which makes them more expensive to rear, and is a good thing for chickens, then we buy chickens in the supermarket from China, or wherever, because they are cheaper....but then they don't have our regulations. In many ways, we shot ourselves in the foot, but if the govt were to lower taxes, raise tax thresholds, and make it worthwhile for investors and those awful people, the rich entrepreneurs to take the risk of creating businesses over here, that could go a long way to helping the situation.
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds