Tories Take Eastwood from Labour
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Tories Take Eastwood from Labour

Re: Tories Take Eastwood from Labour 7 years, 11 months ago #7

• lasercow
  • Administrator
DJ2 wrote:
lasercow wrote:
Gutted that Stewart didn't get in. It means we don't have any local MSPs in power.

Best of luck to him, in whatever he chooses to do next. It's a pity the SNP don't believe in the second Westminster chamber, they could have nominated him for that.

Lord Maxwell of Giffnock has a ring to it.

I don't understand why you say that. Carlaw is as local as Maxwell. Maxwell is unchanged AFAIK and remains a list MSP. So why are you gutted?

Maxwell was a member of the ruling party, so had influence. He was always on issues raised very quickly and efficiently.

Not that I've anything against Jackson - my preferred outcome would have been Maxwell winning the constituency seat and Jackson getting in on the list vote.

Re: Tories Take Eastwood from Labour 7 years, 11 months ago #8

• Gerry
Hopefully the tory councillors will be boosted by this and redouble their efforts to challenge the administration every time they do something stupid, which is all of the time.

Re: Tories Take Eastwood from Labour 7 years, 11 months ago #9

• Alba Og
  • Senior Boarder
I was badly 'trolled' a few months back by a guy called John Mallan who was vile towards me. I keep my politics to myself and because I refused to tell him how I voted, it automatically made me "ist scum" and that wasn't the worst. I explained to him, that he was reacting on a mutual friend's social media page and he should have more respect for said friend by not behaving in such a way.

Anyway, he refused to let up and eventually told me that he was going to report me to the Eastwood Branch of the SNP...I kid you not!

Given this guy was given the privilege of providing the 'entertainment' for the branch Burns' Night, I reported him to Stewart along with the screenshots of this guy's conversation with me. I was hoping to get this sorted on a local level and Stewart would inform Mallan that his behaviour was unacceptable.

Stewart mailed me back, telling me that "I would like to assure you that I unreservedly condemn any and all abuse of individuals whether it is on social media or elsewhere", but went on to explain that he was unable to deal with the situation and that I should email Patrick Grady. I did this and got no response whatsoever.

These guys may walk the walk, but the simple truth is, they really don't care. Stewart could have so easily had a quiet word with this moron, but didn't, so I presume he will simply be continuing his behaviour with others. He has blocked me, but I understand that he has form. This is why Stewart would never have got my vote on this occasion.

Re: Tories Take Eastwood from Labour 7 years, 11 months ago #10

• lasercow
  • Administrator
Alba Og wrote:
I was badly 'trolled' a few months back by a guy called John Mallan who was vile towards me. I keep my politics to myself and because I refused to tell him how I voted, it automatically made me "ist scum" and that wasn't the worst. I explained to him, that he was reacting on a mutual friend's social media page and he should have more respect for said friend by not behaving in such a way.

Crikey, looking at his Facebook page I wouldn't like to approach him, he seems to be anti-Israel, anti-refugee, but one of those scary rabbid Nats (like the Yes Giffnock bunch). I'm sure the party would rather not have these folk associating with them, but what can they do?

Re: Tories Take Eastwood from Labour 7 years, 11 months ago #11

• DJ2
lasercow wrote:
DJ2 wrote:
lasercow wrote:
Gutted that Stewart didn't get in. It means we don't have any local MSPs in power.

Best of luck to him, in whatever he chooses to do next. It's a pity the SNP don't believe in the second Westminster chamber, they could have nominated him for that.

Lord Maxwell of Giffnock has a ring to it.

I don't understand why you say that. Carlaw is as local as Maxwell. Maxwell is unchanged AFAIK and remains a list MSP. So why are you gutted?

Maxwell was a member of the ruling party, so had influence. He was always on issues raised very quickly and efficiently.

Not that I've anything against Jackson - my preferred outcome would have been Maxwell winning the constituency seat and Jackson getting in on the list vote.

Lasercow sorry to disagree with you but this is based on facts. Both as an individual and as a CCllr. I had no problem with Maxwell but he was very selective on the issues he responded to. If it was contentious in any way he just disappeared. One example was the war waged by ERC, and it was a vindictive war culminating in their illegal shutting down of the CCs, which was totally body swerved by Stewart Maxwell.
I ran into him last summer at an event and held out my hand and said laughingly, "Oh you're back out of hiding"? He was furious and spat his dummy out the pram quite unnecessarily in my view.
If issues did not impact on ERC or the Scottish Gov then he was interested. If they did you never saw him for dust. If he had influence he never used it appropriately in my view.
Jackson Carlaw by contrast took on everything we asked of him.
As for Ken Macintosh, unless it served Ken which it rarely did, he was the duck and dive master. Jim Murphy by contrast was more approachable albeit not effective but he would respond unlike Macintosh.

Re: Tories Take Eastwood from Labour 7 years, 11 months ago #12

• DJ2
lasercow wrote:
Alba Og wrote:

Crikey, looking at his Facebook page I wouldn't like to approach him, he seems to be anti-Israel, anti-refugee, but one of those scary rabbid Nats (like the Yes Giffnock bunch). I'm sure the party would rather not have these folk associating with them, but what can they do?

They can choose who they allow into their party. Instead they take on all comers and play the numbers game. Seeing you are so keen on the Nats how effective do you find your Nat ward Cllr? I would have thought the party's failure to deal with that member, thereby condoning his behaviour, might colour your view of such a party.
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds