Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 7 months ago #169

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
The recommendations are welcomed, however in my opinion they do not go far enough.

"Future checks should be implemented but should be commensurate with the values being claimed"Members expenses are audited on a cyclical basis, generally only once in every 5 year period due to low value

No, yearly please as this makes more sense, currently we have at least three ex councillors who in my opinion require to repay overclaimed cash.

Being ex-councillors is there any chance of recovering that cash.?

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 7 months ago #170

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
It was recommended at the time that all claims for mileage outwith East Renfrewshire should be verified to the AA route planner for accuracy by council officers. This was not accepted by management as it was not considered an appropriate use of officer time.

No checks are carried out on the accuracy of the mileage being claimed or the validity of purpose of journey or that the details of the journey are clear. It has been the long held view of officers within Democratic Services that members themselves are responsible for ensuring the validity and accuracy of the amounts being claimed and sign a declaration to this effect in completing the claim.

As can be seen from this thread, it leaves the system open to blatant abuse.

Where did this view come from, 'they are councillors, they are totally trustworthy'.

The day before being elected, they were members of the public. The day after they were not re-elected, they became members of the public.

Being a councillor makes them the most honest person in the planet?

Democratic Services.......Eamon Daly, Jim Sneddon?

IMG_0617.jpg

Click on image to enlarge.

Councillors are not gods and they cannot walk on water.

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 7 months ago #171

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder

I can think of another number of routes, however should it not be the case that no matter which route you take, you only claim the shortest distance?

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 7 months ago #172

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
IMG_0617_2017-08-15.jpg

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 7 months ago #173

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
however the claims exceeded mileage between home and council and would therefore not be allowable under Scottish Government guidance.

Re: Councillors expenses - 2016 - 17
E-Mail from Kenny Hay

Mr Taylor
I have been on holiday and only returned today. I note your comments however after checking with the Council I can confirm that my expense claims are correct as per the Scheme of Members Remuneration as approved by the Council.
The advice that you refer to is non statutory and was only issued as advice.
I trust the above allays your fears that I have claimed too much in expenses during my term as a Councillor.
Regards
Kenny

Councillor Kenny Hay
Labour
Ward 2 Barrhead
Chair of Planning Applications Committee
East Renfrewshire Council

Kenny Hay please take note, have you or will you repay the alleged over claim

From previous post on this thread.

Claimed mileage from his day job (Land Registry-Glw) to Eastwood Park.

We have looked at two months (where he also claimed 13 miles to his house, which is actually only 5 miles)

These are of course disputed miles as Kenny got advice from sta

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 7 months ago #174

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder

Thank you to the likes of Vincent Waters and Mary Montague for highlighting just how loose the ERC system prior to this review actually was.
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds