Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Newton Mearns fly infestation due to illegal waste dump
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newton Mearns fly infestation due to illegal waste dump

Newton Mearns fly infestation due to illegal waste dump 6 years, 11 months ago #1

• Ernhw Ltd
  • ernhw Ltd
Courtesy BBC News

Swarms of flies have descended on parts of East Renfrewshire after illegal waste was dumped in the area.

People in Newton Mearns have been complaining about the infestation since last month.

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa) said it was investigating the issue after the waste was dumped at Netherplace Works.

It is working with East Renfrewshire Council and other agencies to remove the material.

The flies also appear to be spreading to neighbouring Clarkston and Giffnock.
Newton Mearns residents Rachel McPherson and Lorraine Gardiner have been struggling to control the flies. Ms Gardiner has even had them landing on her face in the middle of the night.

She told BBC Radio Scotland's Call Kaye programme: "We've had the flies for three weeks as we first noticed them on Mother's Day.

"On Saturday we were enjoying the sunshine with our doors and windows open and within 20 minutes there were 30 flies in the living room. It's absolutely horrendous.

"I have a five-year-old and an eight-year-old and you need to wait for their dinner to cool down but you can't leave any food out at all now. You waken up in the middle of the night with them on your face. It's absolutely disgusting.

"At first I thought something had died in my house it was so bad. Then when we tried to get fly spray we found out it was sold out everywhere."

After mentioning the issue in a Facebook post, Ms Gardiner discovered her neighbours had the same problem.

"I think it's spreading further and further out," she added. "I think I live near the source and that's why we've maybe been experiencing it for a bit longer. Now people in Clarkston and Giffnock have been getting them."

To control them, remove the food source (where possible), use fly screens around windows, electric fly killers and aerosols (which are not a risk to people)

Ms McPherson told the programme: " Its not been very nice. Originally we thought it was just our house but after speaking to neighbours and local shops realised this was a bigger issue.

"There are a lot of flies in the house, all the time.

"I've got two toddlers and an ill cat so I'm reluctant to use lots of aerosols in the house polluting everyone's lungs and we do have a very small house. So we've just been trying to enhance our fly-catching techniques."

In a joint statement, Sepa and East Renfrewshire Council said: "We are investigating an illegal deposit of waste at Netherplace Works, Newton Mearns.

"Sepa are liaising with the landowner and their contractors regarding measures to reduce flies and limit the potential environmental impact on the site.

"A time frame for final removal of the waste and an associated site clean-up cannot be confirmed as yet.

"However, officers are working closely with East Renfrewshire Council and other agencies in order to ensure waste is removed as soon as possible."

Re: Newton Mearns fly infestation due to illegal waste dump 6 years, 11 months ago #2

• Hhs
  • Platinum Boarder
This has been an issue for a month and the best Erc can come up with they are speaking to various agencies , what a useless lot they are any privately owned company would have had this cleaned up three weeks ago . This is the same council that has given permission for a biogas plant at greengage coup , so people get used to the insects , because when this plants opens they will be with you on a daily basis . The councilers who are standing for reelection are the very people who voted for this plant , with the full knowledge that you did not want this , so vote them out and pressure the new ones to overturn this planning decision

Residents breathe a sigh of relief 6 years, 11 months ago #3

• Ernhw Ltd
  • ernhw Ltd

Re: Newton Mearns fly infestation due to illegal waste dump 6 years, 11 months ago #4

• lasercow
  • Administrator
You have to wonder why they didn't start to spray when the problem was first identified nearly a month ago. This wouldn't have prevented the investigation surely?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds