Username Password: Remember me

Current State of the Roads in East Renfrewshire
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Current State of the Roads in East Renfrewshire

Re: Current State of the Roads in East Renfrewshire 5 years, 10 months ago #25

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
ERC admit -

if your road is in a poor state, all you can expect is a poor repair !!

'In those circumstances it is very difficult for repair teams to carry out high quality durable repairs when the condition of the adjacent surface is poor.'

----Original message----
From : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Date : 28/05/2018 - 19:21 (GMTST)
Subject : FW: 1772232 / 114863 - Cllr MacDonald

Sent: 18 May 2018 14:05
To: Macdonald, D (Cllr)
Subject: 1772232 / 114863 - Cllr MacDonald

Dear Councillor Macdonald,

Firstly please accept my apologies for the time taken to respond to your email.

Pothole repair works are instructed by technical staff and the works are carried out by the Roads Contracting Unit.

The workforce are fully trained and the work on site is overseen by the Works Supervisor.

Follow up inspections are carried out by technical staff however due to the vast number of sites involved technical staff do not carry out follow up inspections to each and every location.

Unfortunately due to budget constraints which only allow us to resurface a portion of the roads which require attention there will be times when pothole repairs are being undertaken to keep a road safe when its condition actually requires resurfacing or large scale structural patching.

In those circumstances it is very difficult for repair teams to carry out high quality durable repairs when the condition of the adjacent surface is poor.

A technical officer has carried out an inspection of Viaduct Road and has confirmed that sections of it do warrant larger scale surfacing and/or patching work and that the pothole repairs carried out have repaired the safety defects and are of suitable quality given the overall condition of the road.

As you may be aware the Roads Service assesses the condition of roads annually on an objective basis to prioritise schemes for our annual resurfacing and patching programmes and unfortunately the number of carriageways and footways requiring repair far outstrips the monies available.

The prioritisation of schemes considers the traffic volumes and speeds on the route as well as its condition.

It may be possible to include parts of Viaduct Road in a future years surfacing programme however as with other roads in a similar condition that will be subject to budget allocations and consideration of other competing priorities.

In the meantime Viaduct Road will continue to be inspected and safety defects repaired as appropriate.

I trust this information will allow you to respond to your constituent and my apologies again for the time taken,

Regards
Jane
Jane Corrie
Roads & Transportation Controller
East Renfrewshire Council
Unit 2 Spiersbridge Business Park
Thornliebank
G46 8NG

----Original message----
From : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Date : 25/04/2018 - 13:18 (GMTST)
To : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Subject : Viaduct Road

Good morning Jane,

...... a ward 4 resident, has recently brought this road complaint to my attention and I have made a site visit .

Attached are the pictures of patching that was recently undertaken on numerous potholes down the full length of Viaduct Road.

The complaint is that the work is of very poor quality, not in keeping with the overall colour of road surface (red) and some of the patching is already starting to show signs of breaking up only a few weeks after completion.

Although by far an expert, on face value I have to agree ....... that the quality of the workmanship appears to be very poor indeed.

Do ERC Roads have a Quality Assurance protocol whereby a senior officer visits the completed work to sign off on it? It appears these repairs are being completed with little to no senior supervision.

Kind regards,
David.

Re: Current State of the Roads in East Renfrewshire 5 years, 10 months ago #26

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder

Re: Current State of the Roads in East Renfrewshire 5 years, 9 months ago #27

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Email to Ward 4 Councillors -

----Original message----
Date : 10/06/2018 - 16:25 (GMTST)
Subject : Road fault report - 101001785131 - Roads deterioate further

Hi

See below. I have had to report the condition of Viaduct Road, Linwood Ave and Overlee Road again.

The Roads have deteriorated further and the last pothole repairs are now themselves in need of repair.

Jane Corrie , Roads & Transportation Controller admits your constituents have to put up with poor repairs -

''In those circumstances it is very difficult for repair teams to carry out high quality durable repairs when the condition of the adjacent surface is poor.'

(They didn't even ask residents to move their cars to try and make a 'decent' repair)

'At this time Viaduct Road is at no. 113 on the Road services assessment list for future carriageway resurfacing and Linwood ave is at no. 243.' At 15 schemes per annum -

It will be 7 1/2 years until Viaduct Road is considered for resurfacing !

It will be 16 years until Linwood Ave is considered for resurfacing !

You, I, Roads and the Council know this is not sustainable. These roads will be little more than 'dirt tracks' (if they are not already) if more investment is not forthcoming.

Why should your constituents have to put up with poor repairs?

What further action do you propose now for your constituents to improve this dire situation.

- Road fault report - 101001785131

Please inspect Viaduct Road, Linwood Ave and Overlee Road.

There are too many potholes to list here.

The surface on all these roads is breaking up both in the middle and in the gutters.

These roads have again deteriorated since the last small number of repairs.

The recent 'repairs' to potholes in Viaduct Road are now themselves in need of repair.

The road surface outside Nos 14, 16, 18 Linwood Ave is potholed and breaking away. The road is also breaking up in the gutters.

Jane Corrie , Roads & Transportation Controller has admitted -

If your road is in a poor state, all you can expect is a poor repair !!

'In those circumstances it is very difficult for repair teams to carry out high quality durable repairs when the condition of the adjacent surface is poor.'

Please give details of what inspection was carried out.

Please give details of location and details of what 'repairs' were carried out.

Thanks

Re: Current State of the Roads in East Renfrewshire 5 years, 9 months ago #28

• Cllr. David Macdonald
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Transparency. Accountability. Responsibility.
Good evening,

I will respond directly to your specific question as to where we go from here.

My answer is simple. Changing the guard. I will be spending the remaining time I have in my current term to encourage Independent candidates to come forward for wards 2, 3 and 5 for the next election and then once we have Independent candidates for each ward I would encourage as many people as possible to join an aligned campaign team to assist in winning as many seats as possible. We have to push home the message to the public that the only way you will ever have a council that will do the job properly is if you have community focussed residents becoming councillors. Nobody from a political party need be in that chamber. We should all be speaking with Independent voices and not using the council platform to stoke fires of higher politics. This is what is clogging up the effectiveness of local governance and policy.

In the short term regarding roads repairs. I have to be the bearer of bad news - You will have to ride this out until the next election. That may sound harsh but that is the sad reality. The public are the only ones who have the power to make the right changes. Vote in the same old faces. You will get the same old service. Vote in Independents who have no political axe to grind and you will have a council far better calibrated.

Cllr. David Macdonald. (IND)
Ward 4
I serve the people. I work for the people. I listen to the people. If the people don't want me they can remove me and i am always aware that my own survival as a councillor is always performance related. It is my greatest honour to represent you all. Thanks for the opportunity. David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom

Re: Current State of the Roads in East Renfrewshire 5 years, 9 months ago #29

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllr. David Macdonald wrote:
Vote in the same old faces. You will get the same old service. Vote in Independents who have no political axe to grind and you will have a council far better calibrated.

Cllr. David Macdonald. (IND)
Ward 4

I personally could not agree more...........

Re: Current State of the Roads in East Renfrewshire 5 years, 9 months ago #30

• Phil
  • Fresh Boarder
I thought when we had a few newbies going in things would change, sorry to say but hey immediately fell into the party line.
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds