Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Death Threats to a well known resident of East Renfrewshire
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Death Threats to a well known resident of East Renfrewshire

Re: Death Threats to a well known resident of East Renfrewshire 6 years, 10 months ago #7

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
On the face of it Mr D'Souza would appear to be an experienced individual.
Former chair of Giffnock Community Council, apparently heavily involved previously in 'Go Greener, and 'Green Shoots', both environmental programmes, former project manager at Eastwood Allotments, former Chair of the East Renfrewshire Chamber of Trade and Commerce, East Renfrewshire organiser of the 'Big Lunch' and many more public positions.

He has appeared in many photographs with public officials over the years, he can also lay claim to 'doing a Montague' with the great lady herself.

On his own Facebook page he describes himself as,
Screenshot2017-05-1218.16.42.jpg

Looking at his past, one would have thought being a police officer would possibly give him an insight into 'real' threats.

However we have learned that he was only what is known as a 'Hobby Bobby', -- a Special Constable, for a short period.

Re: Death Threats to a well known resident of East Renfrewshire 6 years, 10 months ago #8

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
He certainly would not have far to drive to his local police office.
3_2017-05-12.jpg

ERC Notice of Poll

Re: Death Threats to a well known resident of East Renfrewshire 6 years, 10 months ago #9

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
NEWSLINE has identified the post in question from 'Save Eastwood Pool'.

Screenshot2017-05-1011.27.18.jpg

The words within the section highlighted are these that Mr D'Souza considered a threat, reported it to the police, and an officer traced the originator and issued him with a warning.

Re: Death Threats to a well known resident of East Renfrewshire 6 years, 10 months ago #10

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
"Do we have to beat the fact that you are plain wrong (situation normal) into your skull with multiple sledgehammers? We will if necessary.

When we take the words in isolation from the thrust of the post, does it constitute a threat?

There is a fine line and specific definition of what the law considers a true threat.

"It has to be a serious expression of an intent to do bodily harm".

Mr D'Souza may not like what was said about him but that is part of free speech, having to endure statements that are mean, petty, ridiculous or insulting that is part of free speech."

A mere statement that somebody should suffer bodily harm is a statement of very strong personal opinion but it's not under the law a true threat.

The question that has to be asked would a "reasonable person" - on the receiving end - take them seriously.

Re: Death Threats to a well known resident of East Renfrewshire 6 years, 10 months ago #11

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
Tom Taylor who has over 30 years police experience coupled with 10 years dealing with Data Protection, Freedom of Information and Slander issues said.

"If this in fact had been a serious threat the charge would have been one of Breach of the Peace. In order to commit a Breach of the Peace a person requires to behave in a threatening or abusive manner which was likely to cause a reasonable person to suffer fear or alarm."

"If someone had posted "I am coming to your house in an hour to hit you over the head with a hammer", a 'reasonable' person may consider that a genuine threat of violence, dependent on who said it and the circumstances leading up to the statement".

"I have to say that having read the statement I am of the opinion that there is no possibility that a 'reasonable' person could or would consider that a threat.

In my opinion Mr D'Souza is either a very delicate flower or he was seeking revenge for a series of comments that were made about him on that particular thread, which was replicated on this site.

What people have to remember is that no individual can instruct the police to charge anyone, that is the sole role of police officers to take that decision and to submit a report to the Procurator Fiscal, and thank goodness that we operate that way or the courts would be full of such nonsense as this.

Frankly I am surprised that Mr D'Souza was not sent out of the office with a flee in his ear, 'wasting police time' comes to mind.

However I am absolutely astounded that a police officer would contact the originator of the post and issue a warning.

In my opinion the officer was acting outside of the relevant legislation and outside his powers and remit, for what reason I could only speculate.

Re: Death Threats to a well known resident of East Renfrewshire 6 years, 10 months ago #12

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
NEWSLINE contacted Mr D'Souza and offered him the opportunity to comment, but he failed to respond.

ban_2017-05-12.jpg

Mr D'Souza with Ex Cllr Waters
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds