TOPIC:

6 years, 7 months ago #7

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
From The Money Saving Experts web site _

6 years, 7 months ago #8

• lasercow
  • Administrator
How do you define unfair though? I'm all for contesting dodgy tickets, but if you are refusing to pay for a service a company has provided (an area to park), I don't see why you should be encouraged not to pay it.

This "just ignore tickets" culture is why people are able to park in ambulance bays at the new QE hospital - they just ignore the tickets.

This whole situation could be solved immediately by giving the staff a parking pass. Or encouraging them to cycle to work, but that's another topic Nobody else is being affected.

6 years, 7 months ago #9

• DJ2
Lasercow, there is nothing to contest. As I understand it, in Scotland, unlike England, the law does not permit the enforcement of private parking charges. That is why in Scotland we don't have the problem of private clamping companies extorting huge sums from unsuspecting punters.

6 years, 7 months ago #10

• lasercow
  • Administrator
True, but if a company provides a car park, with a nice surface, maybe cameras, lighting etc - by using their car park, I am using their service. Why shouldn't I pay for it?

If you had a foolproof way to nick gin from Waitrose, would that be OK?

6 years, 7 months ago #11

• DJ2
lasercow wrote:
True, but if a company provides a car park, with a nice surface, maybe cameras, lighting etc - by using their car park, I am using their service. Why shouldn't I pay for it?

If you had a foolproof way to nick gin from Waitrose, would that be OK?

You're already paying for it by spending money in the centre's shops who rent their space. Do you expect to pay for the centre's heating and lighting every time you go in? AFAIK they don't charge for using their loos either. Would you pay to sit in the centre's seats? Sounds like you've been attending the O'Leary school of harvesting income from a captive customer base.

The comparison with nicking gin doesn't apply so I'll leave that one to you! Foolproof isn't the same as legal nor is nicking.

6 years, 7 months ago #12

• lasercow
  • Administrator
I'm talking in general rather than this particular case.

The charges in this case are aimed at long stayers - 4 hours or more I think. And as such it's only hitting staff. It's aimed at people dumping their cars their all day. Not sure where they are going in this case! It's a complete non-story, I don't know why they don't just give staff a permit to display.

Lots of shopping car parks charge for a short stay. This one isn't.

But the advice of "ignore it" is generally given to all such instances.
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds