TOPIC: Eastwood Park Leisure Centre

Re: Eastwood Park Leisure Centre 5 years, 3 months ago #229

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllr Jim Swift post on Save Shawwood Greenspace Facebook page -

14 January 2019
Jim Swift
4 hrs

Some questions I have for the director of the environment (DoE) at the Council at our next Audit and Scrutiny meeting. I have sent these to him. If you feel you can add to the beneath, I would as always welcome your thoughts.

1. In a consultation, my position would be there should be an equivalent weight given to each of the elements on offer.
Does Mr Cahill agree with that statement or should one particular outcome, if it is preferred by staff be promoted within a consultation and if so, should it not be outlined as such?
Option 4 had the longest description in the consultation with a shopping list of benefits and no dis-benefits (unlike the others), emotive but actually meaningless phrases like “future-proof” were used and no costs like opportunity cost, loss of wildlife, loss of free greenspace amenity, access constraints and travel difficulties etc. were not explored.
Photos showing large and expansive gym areas in option 4, unlike cramped photos in options 1 and 2.
I could go on, but hopefully the DoE gets the point that I and others including an expert do not think the consultation was anything other than very substantially biased.

2. Why was the consultation held prior to the evaluation of sites by T&T? This would have enabled a fairer consultation, as people would have understood better what they were opining upon in relation to access in particular and a more concrete view of what would be lost.

Why was Eastwood Park not included in the sites made available for a proposed new leisure centre?
Why was the T&T report on the future of Eastwood Park not made available to Councillors and the public prior to the consultation?

3.Elderly people who will pay for the LC through Council Tax, but be very unlikely to care about extended LC facilities were excluded by the predominately on-line nature of the consultation. Why was the consultation not extensively promoted beyond the social media environment, given the enormous potential spend and that the Council has a duty to consider the opinions of older people?

4.It is not nimbyism to consider the impact of development on those who live closest to the site of development. Why was no special consideration given to the proposed sites’ nearby residents, so those who would potentially benefit most from the enhanced facilities and / or benefit the least by the loss of green space and all of the issues that are associated with that to enable more of a voice for those most advantaged / most disadvantaged, many of whom did not know about the consultation?

5. In the other T&T report that sought to identify potential sites for a leisure centre. There was no scoring mechanism proscribed for the sub-domains, so that all the sites would be treated equally and the actual analysis could be taken apart and fully understood, as to how and why the scores arrived at were arrived at?

6. Does the DoE agree that not being transparent with pertinent information, biasing a consultation, excluding key information from the initial report on that consultation and a black box methodology for the choice of sites gives room to the view that the outcome was predetermined and the Council has not acted in an even handed and open way?

7. It is my contention that this exercise has damaged the Council’s reputation for being an honest broker. Surely the best way to restore people’s faith in ERC would be an admission of the mistakes made and a plan to regain the trust of the public.

What will the DofE do to try to restore the public’s trust in ERC?

Re: Eastwood Park Leisure Centre 5 years, 3 months ago #230

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Some info from latest FOI above regarding -

Master Planning of Eastwood Park & the feasibility of a new build leisure centre within Eastwood Park.

It would appear from the following extracts from emails provided in the FOI response that the latest consultants to be given money by ERC are -

Peter Brett Associates LLP (PBA) - is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales.

PBA has joined the Stantec family, find out more at peterbrett.com.

Interestingly one of PBA used to work for East Renfrewshire Council -

Extract from CV -
RALSTON MACKENZIE
Equity Director

SENIOR ASSOCIATE – TRANSPORT PLANNING

CAREER HISTORY
East Renfrewshire Council -

Roads & Transportation Controller 2013-2015

Traffic, Lighting & Road Safety Controller 2010-2013

East Renfrewshire Council -

Senior Engineer – 2003

Re: Eastwood Park Leisure Centre 5 years, 3 months ago #231

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: 27 April 2018 17:18

Andy,
Please find attached our fee proposal for delivery of Feasibility and Masterplanning for Eastwood Park. Should have any questions about this please come back to me directly.

There are three documents attached;
• Technical Submission
• Project Team CVs
• Project Team Case Studies
Please confirm receipt of this email.

Kind Regards
Ralston Mackenzie
Senior Associate

Fry, Lesley
Sent: 27 April 2018 17:52
To: 'Ralston Mackenzie'
Subject: RE: PBA proposal - Eastwood Park Masterplanning

Ralston

Thanks
I will get back to you.

Regards
Andy
Andrew Cahill
Director of Environment
Environment Department
East Renfrewshire: Your Council

Sent: 27 April 2018 17:18
To: Cahill, Andrew
Cc: McAleer, Anne; Emma Jopling; Mark Johnston; Chris Benn; Richard Neilson
Subject: PBA proposal - Eastwood Park Masterplanning

Andy,

Please find attached our fee proposal for delivery of Feasibility and Masterplanning for Eastwood Park.

Should have any questions about this please come back to me directly.

There are three documents attached;
Technical Submission
Project Team CVs
Project Team Case Studies

Please confirm receipt of this email.

Kind Regards
Ralston Mackenzie
Senior Associate
For and on behalf of Peter Brett Associates LLP Glasgow

Fee Proposal

PBA will deliver this project under the terms specified for Lot 7 of the Scotland Excel Framework and in order to carry out the tasks we have shown the fees associated with respect to each task in the table below.

It should be noted that whilst this is a Project Management led task, we are also providing technical consultancy advice and therefore we have used Lot 2 person rates to calculate our fee.

This has been successfully applied in other submissions on the basis that the project management rates require a knowledge of the Project / Construction Value and at this stage we do not know what that will be until we have completed this commission.

Task Sub-total
Peter Brett Associates LLP
Project Management Inputs £7,800

Transport Inputs £12,150

Planning Inputs £5,700

Economic Inputs £2,550

Denham Benn Architects
Architectural Inputs £15,000

Quantum Solutions – QS
Cost Consultancy Inputs £5,100

Expenses £450

Total Fee £48,750

The above sums show costs per task, exclusive of VAT.

Re: Eastwood Park Leisure Centre 5 years, 3 months ago #232

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: 31 May 2018 15:31
Subject: Eastwood Park - Draft Proposal
Attachments: PBA_Eastwood Park Masterplan - Technical Submission 31052018.pdf; PBA_Eastwood Park Masterplan - Case Studies 31052018.pdf; PBA_Eastwood Park Masterplan - Project Team CVs 31052018.pdf
Categories: No Action Required

Andy,

Further to our discussions last Friday I have attached a draft proposal for Eastwood Park.

Hopefully this is in line with our discussions and your expectations of what is required?

Should you wish to proceed please let me know by return email.

Kind Regards
Ralston Mackenzie
Senior Associate

Re: Eastwood Park Leisure Centre 5 years, 3 months ago #233

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
In order to fully investigate the future opportunities for development in the Eastwood Park Campus a Masterplanning exercise needs to take place.

A masterplan for this site would allow the Council to consider all available options for the site against future plans and priorities for the local area, this will help them to determine the best possible mix of services at Eastwood Park.

A masterplan for the Eastwood Park Campus would be considered against three key Council drivers:

Office accommodation strategy and recommendations;

Options available for the expansion of St Ninians High School; and
This business case for a new build Leisure facility, including the availability and viability of alternative sites.

The masterplan will consider essential elements such as, but not limited to;

Statutory framework review – national policy for economic development and planning, in order to understand the context of the development and ensure stakeholder buy-in

Development framework – This will be a long term vision for Eastwood Park Campus, providing the Council with guiding principles for the development, including, site appraisals, site analysis and development zoning

Access and services – A major concern at Eastwood Park Campus is access, traffic and congestion are extremely high, particularly at peak times.

The masterplan will consider road and access improvements to alleviate health and safety concerns. Furthermore, a utilities strategy, services plan and long term sustainability plan will be developed.

The masterplan will explore all available options for the Eastwood Park Campus going forward, ensuring the best mix of services and in the context of future requirements and ambitions for the Council in regards to St Ninians High School, Eastwood Park Council HQ and Eastwood House

Sent: 15 June 2018 14:51
To: Cahill, Andrew <
Subject: Eastwood Park Masterplan Feasibility??

Andy,

Hope you are well?

I wondered whether there had been a decision made in respect of our recent proposal for Eastwood Park. If you could provide a quick update that would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Ralston Mackenzie
Senior Associate

Sent: 15 June 2018 16:34
To: Ralston Mackenzie
Subject: RE: Eastwood Park Masterplan Feasibility??

Ralston

I met with Turner and Townsend last week regarding the draft detailed feasibility study and business case for the leisure centre.

The is a link between this and your proposal.

As soon as I get the revisions back from Turner and Townsend I can refine the scope to allow you to modify your proposal.

It won't take long and then I can engage you on the commission.

This makes sense

Regards
Andy

Sent: 15 June 2018 16:40

Andy,

All noted – thanks for the update.

Have a good weekend.

Kind Regards
Ralston Mackenzie
Senior Associate

Re: Eastwood Park Leisure Centre 5 years, 3 months ago #234

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: 26 July 2018 10:39

Ralston

This is the extract from the Turner Townsend report.

You might like to play around with it in terms of your proposal.

Bear in mind its their suggestion and I don’t have to follow it slavishly.

However, along with your previous revised proposal it captures the essence of what I am after.

Regards
Andy
Andrew Cahill
Director of Environment
Environment Department

Sent: 26 July 2018 11:39

Andy,

Thanks for the update – was there an attachment sent out with your email?

If there was, it didn’t come through.

Kind Regards
Ralston Mackenzie
Senior Associate

Sent: 26 July 2018 11:42

Ralston

Apologies.

Andy
Andrew Cahill
Director of Environment
Environment Department

Sent: 26 July 2018 11:50

Thanks Andy – will get back to you soon.

Kind Regards
Ralston Mackenzie
Senior Associate
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds