Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Snow Problem
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Snow Problem

Re: Snow Problem 6 years, 3 months ago #7

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
As usual Cllr David MacDonald steps up and is willing to take action and help his constituents -

From : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Date : 20/01/2018 - 12:33 (GMTST)
To : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Subject : Fwd: Eastwood Park Campus - Please take action - Conditions worse

Good morning again Phil,

This is another constituent complain.

This time about the car park and walkway areas of the Eastwood Leisure Centre at Eastwood Park sent in by WARD 4 resident ........

Can you forward an urgent notification to the gritting team to visit the car park area and to spread some grit?

As of 10:45am this morning ......... reports that the whole area is very slick and does not appear to be treated with grit.

As you can appreciate a lot of seniors and young children use the facility.

Is Eastwood park on the high priority list for gritting?

Kind regards,
David.

From : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Date : 20/01/2018 - 12:49 (GMTST)
To : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Subject : Re: Eastwood Park Campus - snow/ice problems

Dear Jim,

In your reply to ....... regarding gritting of Eastwood Park you state that walkways are not part of the gritting schedule.

Why?

I think we should be preparing walkways accordingly so as to allow safe passage from parked cars to the main entrance and not be forcing people, especially seniors and young children to walk through car traffic of the car park.

Can we make arrangements to add the pedestrian walkways to the gritting schedule please.

It might be helpful to mention that I witnessed a school janitor at Busby PS a few mornings ago using a hand pushed hopper full of grit rather than spreading by bucket and spades. It was much more effective in spreading evenly and used much less grit.

(Picture of hopper attached)

If we don't have these purchased for the gritting team then I feel each grit truck should be equppied with one to spread walkways effectively.

I have tied in Phil Daws for his input.

Regards,
David

Re: Snow Problem 6 years, 3 months ago #8

• Hhs
  • Platinum Boarder
Well done counciler McDonald but where are the rest of our councilers , is there no camera available for them ?, the highly paid Snp/ labour admin councilers are invisable as usual , this counciler is showing us all what a good counciler can achieve , let's hope some follow on

Re: Snow Problem 6 years, 3 months ago #9

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
I could have emailed roads, but thought Cllr Miller would get something done quicker, at least try to get some salt/grit put down before roads staff open their emails on Monday morning.

Reply below from Cllr Miller -

----Original message----
Date : 20/01/2018 - 16:30 (GMTST)
Subject : Re: Eastwood Park Campus - Please take action - Conditions worse

Dear Sir

I have forwarded your email to the roads dept for action

Kind regards

Stewart

Re: Snow Problem 6 years, 2 months ago #10

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder

Re: Snow Problem 6 years, 2 months ago #11

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Councillor and Convener for Environment Alan Lafferty has not replied.

Re: Snow Problem 6 years, 2 months ago #12

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Reply to/Replies from Jim Sneddon -

Date : 22/01/2018
Subject : Re: RE: Eastwood Park Campus

Hi

As said, conditions were dangerous on Thursday and worse on Saturday.

I saw no evidence of Salting/gritting, and in fact the roads were in a worse condition on Saturday than on Thursday.

Again as said -

The main car park was completely black ice and sheet ice and in my opinion it was treacherous, very dangerous and virtually impossible to walk on.

It would appear some snow had been cleared from the car park, but as no grit/salt had been applied this had only made the conditions worse by exposing the black ice and sheet ice.

This has been a problem in Eastwood Park in previous years and has regularly been reported.

I can send you details if you wish.

On this occasion I think Residents and Council Tax payers of East Renfrewshire were entitled to a better service.

Thanks

Date : 22/01/2018 - 08:24 (GMTST)
Subject : RE: Eastwood Park Campus

Good morning,

I refer to your email below.

To update you I was able to secure additional snow/ice clearing on the vehicle routes within the park however I was unable to arrange gritting in the pathways.

The matter has been taken up with the Environment department who hold responsibility for gritting contracts.

Temperatures are now milder however I have expressed the desire to review and upgrade the contract wo include pathways and requested that this is given consideration.

Regards
Jim Sneddon

Sent: 19 January 2018 16:18
To: Sneddon, Jim
Subject: Re: Eastwood Park Campus

Hi

' I am awaiting confirmation of the position.'

What confirmation did you receive?

Thanks

From: "Sneddon, Jim" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Date: 22/01/2018 08:20 (GMT+00:00)
To: "Macdonald, D (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Subject: RE: Eastwood Park Campus - snow/ice problems

Good Morning Councillor,

The contract for gritting Council premises, including Eastwood Park sits with the Environment department.

I have been in touch with my colleague Phil Daws to draw his attention to the position experienced here in Eastwood Park in recent days.

I note from emails over the weekend that he has instructed staff to engage with services and identify anomalies in the current contract with a view to remedy, there is clearly a need for pathways to be included in the contract and this is not presently the position.

We have now entered a period of milder temperatures however I will maintain communication with the department until matters are satisfactorily resolved for the future.

Regards
Jim
East Renfrewshire Council
Head of Democratic & Partnership Services
Corporate and Community Services Department
Council Headquarters
Eastwood Park
Rouken Glen Road
Giffnock
East Renfrewshire
G46 6UG
Tel. 0141 577 3744