ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Re: Use of the chemical herbacide Glyphosate in East Ren Parks (apart from Rouken Glen)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Re: Use of the chemical herbacide Glyphosate in East Ren Parks (apart from Rouken Glen)

Re: Use of the chemical herbacide Glyphosate in East Ren Parks (apart from Rouken Glen) 3 years, 8 months ago #7

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllr David MacDonald has posted on his facebook page -

Cllr David Macdonald - An Independent voice for people
30 July at 06:06 ·

theferret.scot/glyphosate-weedkiller-cancer-counci…/

I will be setting out my plans for the end of this summer to persuade COSLA to raise this as an urgent matter concerning the environment, wildlife, including impact on bee population and also dangers to council staff forced to work with the chemical and also to public health and pet health.

As you know I have been trying for almost three years now to persuade our own council to consider alternatives to using Glyphosate and will continue to keep this urgent matter in the short grass.

At present the council are using this to kill grass along pathways as opposed to using conventional grass cutting techniques using edgers and strimmers.

Ideally, I would like the council to start to use battery pack operated power equipment to properly edge these pathways rather than spraying a chemical herbicide (Glyphosate /Gallup Hi Aktiv.)

On top of all concerns about it's use it also leaves an unsightly yellow border of dead grass on all areas it is sprayed.

I believe as a council ERC along with other councils still using it should not be using the cheapest, least safe and quickest option.

The council need to assist in promoting civic pride and responsible practice.

The practice of spraying this chemical everywhere in high season undermines the aesthetic appearance of our communites at best and at worst uses a chemical that has been banned by many jurisdictions and countries around the world due to emerging evidence that there are risks associated with it's use.

Re: Use of the chemical herbacide Glyphosate in East Ren Parks (apart from Rouken Glen) 3 years, 7 months ago #8

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllr David MacDonald has posted on his facebook page -

23 hrs ·

The East Renfrewshire Council Glyphosate sprayers out and about in Busby today.

Expect to see all the grass areas turn an unsightly colour of burnt yellow in the next few days.

Not to mention the environmental and health issues of using this chemical herbicide.

It is a weed killer and for the fact that it is being used so liberally to treat grass trimming is really unfortunate.

I have been trying to convince ERC to join other councils and stop using it.

I will keep going.

Re: Use of the chemical herbacide Glyphosate in East Ren Parks (apart from Rouken Glen) 3 years, 5 months ago #9

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Details of Freedom of Information Request from WhatDoTheyKnow website -

www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/amenity_p...e_4#incoming-1636922

Re: Use of the chemical herbacide Glyphosate in East Ren Parks (apart from Rouken Glen) 1 year, 10 months ago #10

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
24/05/2022 11:19

This still rumbles on -

Posted Council facebook page

www.facebook.com/eastrenfrewshirecouncil/

- Can you reassure dog owners that the weed killer fluid that the guys are spraying right now... is it safe??
22 h

- Author
East Renfrewshire Council
........- yes, it is safe. Glyphosate is currently approved for use as a herbicide (weed killer) in the EU.

Approval was granted in 2002, based on a review of mammalian toxicology, ecotoxicology and other data, and the UK Gov considers that the regulatory process for authorising plant protection products is a robust system. Thanks.
22 h

You can find this comment under the ERC post for Garden waste Permits

East Renfrewshire Council
23 hrs ·
2022/23
Garden Waste Permits

Re: Use of the chemical herbacide Glyphosate in East Ren Parks (apart from Rouken Glen) 10 months, 3 weeks ago #11

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
08/05/2023

Another year goes by and still it goes on

Cllr david MacDonald has posted on facebook page

www.facebook.com/MacdonaldTheIndependent

Cllr David Macdonald - An Independent voice for people. is at Clarkston.
1 d · Glasgow ·

Glyphosate based chemical herbicide is being sprayed once again by East Renfrewshire Council to kill the grass edges of green spaces and children's parks throughout the ward.

Please don't allow your children or pets to touch the killed grass.

I am still fighting to see that the spraying of this stuff is stopped.

It's a bit of a marathon and not a sprint to build the case.

Other councils have stopped using it.

The only park in East Ren where it is not sprayed is Rouken Glen and this is because it has Green flag award status and in order to keep it Glyphosate cannot be used anywhere within the park.

So the council do recognise that it is considered not "green" if not unsafe.

Please do your research on the health effects of Glyphosate globally, Monsanto Inc, the American company who hold the patent for it and the legal cases fought for people who have suffered serious health effects because of it.

I won't stop on this until it is ceased being used in our public parks and around green spaces and pavement verges

The product ERC use is Gallup Hi-Aktiv.

Re: Use of the chemical herbacide Glyphosate in East Ren Parks (apart from Rouken Glen) 10 months, 2 weeks ago #12

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
4 and a half years he as been trying to get the Gardening section to stop using this. Never managed it, just shows what kind of infuence he has (not).
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds