ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Cabinet Meeting - Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 10.00am.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cabinet Meeting - Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 10.00am.

Cabinet Meeting - Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 10.00am. 4 years, 12 months ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
CABINET

A meeting of the Cabinet will be held in the Council Chamber, East Renfrewshire Council Headquarters, Eastwood Park, Giffnock on

Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 10.00am.

You can read Agenda/Papers here -

www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=24163&p=0

Re: Cabinet Meeting - Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 10.00am. 4 years, 12 months ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Monday, 1 Apr, 2019 At 11:36
Subject: Cabinet meeting 4 April 2019 - Audio Record

Hi Alan

Again, a request has been made to audio record the Cabinet meeting on 4 April 2019.

No reasons have been given in the previous meetings minutes as to why audio recording was refused.

As we still live in a Democracy, as a constituent and as you are my elected Councillor would appreciate if you could give any reasons why this meeting should not be audio recorded.

As the Audit & Scrutiny Committee routinely give permission for audio recording would appreciate if you can give your reasons why you disagree with any of below.

Audio Recording can -

strengthen the Council’s democratic accountability to the public, both directly and via the local media and enable audiences to:

- replay meetings after they have taken place, which may be helpful when the meeting time is inconvenient.
- hear meetings more clearly.
- obtain a better understanding of the workings of the Council.
- better engage in local democratic political processes.
- it will introduce greater equality of access to Council meetings

- It will allow people who are physically unable to attend meetings of the Council or have hearing difficulties to listen at a time convenient to them.

- a verbatim record of proceedings which Members and others can be provided with and could access and listen to after the event.

As you are aware my preference is for the Council to get value for money and for these meetings to be webcast within the current 30 hrs contract.

Unfortunately, as the Council are prepared to waste money, then audio recording of these meetings by Residents/Council Tax Payers is the only current option available for them to listen at a more convenient time.

To be honest as a Senior Constituent it is very difficult at times to follow what is going on.

As said audio recording allows you to listen and check on what you may have missed.

I speak as one of the few who have experience of these meetings.

I am quite happy to be open and transparent in giving my reasons for the audio recording of this meeting.

Council and Officials -

- Consider only themselves

- Consider the meeting is only being held for their benefit

- Have a general disregard for those in the public gallery.

- give little consideration to the needs of Residents/Council Tax Payers in the Public Gallery.

- pay little heed to ensure Residents/Council Tax Payers in the Public Gallery can hear and/or follow proceedings.

- when they speak regularly fail to ensure that Residents/Council Tax Payers in the Public Gallery can hear and/or follow proceedings.

- fail to switch on microphones.

- regularly mumble.

- do not speak into microphones.

- speak off microphone

The Audio in the chamber is very poor.

There is certainly no cost to ERC.

The Audit & Scrutiny Committee seem to have no problem with audio recording and routinely give their permission.

I will be quite happy to provide you with any audio recording.

Again, I think it unreasonable that you do not give reasons for your denying audio recording.

So would appreciate if you can give your reasons.

Thanks

Re: Cabinet Meeting - Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 10.00am. 4 years, 12 months ago #3

• Ernhw Ltd
  • ernhw Ltd
1/4/19
To Cllr Caroline Bamforth

Good Afternoon Cllr,

I have requested permission to audio record the Cabinet meeting on 4 April 2019.

I note that no reasons have been given in the previous meetings minutes as to why audio recording was refused, and you were present at both meetings.

As you are aware you are my elected Councillor and I would appreciate if you could give me any reasons why this forthcoming meeting should not be audio recorded.

Kind Regards

Tom Taylor

Re: Cabinet Meeting - Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 10.00am. 4 years, 12 months ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
To: "Lafferty, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Monday, 1 Apr, 2019 At 12:14
Subject: Re: Cabinet meeting 4 April 2019 - Audio Record

Hi Alan

You still fail to give any reasons.

As said, I don't think it unreasonable to request that you give your reasons.

Thanks

From: "Lafferty, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Monday, 1 Apr, 2019 At 12:08
Subject: Re: Cabinet meeting 4 April 2019 - Audio Record

Have already replied.

Cllr Lafferty's previous reply -

From: "Lafferty, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 8 Mar, 2019 At 14:56
Subject: Re: Cabinet Meeting 14th March 2019 - Permission To Audio Record

I have no reason to comply with your request.

Above are Cllr Lafferty's 'reasons' ?

What price Democracy?

No member of the Cabinet Committee has given any reason for refusing request to audio record Cabinet meetings !

Re: Cabinet Meeting - Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 10.00am. 4 years, 12 months ago #5

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
RM64 wrote:

Sent: Friday, 8 Mar, 2019 At 14:56
Subject: Re: Cabinet Meeting 14th March 2019 - Permission To Audio Record

I have no reason to comply with your request.

and equally he has no reason not to comply with the request.......
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds