Leisure Trust - Secret Agenda?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Leisure Trust - Secret Agenda?

Leisure Trust - Secret Agenda? 5 years ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
There is interest in the Leisure Trust.

How it is run………………the involvement of………………….

- Cllrs Devlin, Grant, O’kane and Merrick,
- Director of Education (ERC) Mhairi Shaw,
- Head of Accountancy (ERC) Margaret McCrossan.
- Anthony McReavy the Chief Executive and

the other members of the Board…………….

Andrew Allan, Professor Grant Jarvie, Dr Noreen Siddiqui, Steven Larkin

You may not have heard of some of the above. They like to keep to themselves, although they are given and are responsible for spending around £4.5 million of Council Tax Payers money.

With difficulty, you get information from Agendas, Meetings and minutes.

Leisure Trust Board Meetings are held in private or you could say in secret.

Unlike Council meetings, East Renfrewshire Council Tax Payers, Residents and/or members of the public are not allowed to attend.

You can only learn what happened at a Leisure Trust Board meeting from the minutes.

Unfortunately, these minutes are only published after the next meeting when they have been approved by the Board( 2-3 months after the original meeting).

The Agenda is published along with the minutes.

Again, this can be 2-3 months after the original meeting.

However, for most organisations, it is normal convention that the Agenda is published before a meeting.

So why does the Leisure Trust not want to publish Agendas before meetings?

Even ERC publishes agendas before its meetings !!

It makes it extremely difficult to keep up with what the Leisure Trust are up to.

Especially when they overspend - or get themselves involved in £40 million Leisure Centre vanity projects.

Yes, the Council also issues previous minutes before the next meeting BUT you can attend Council meetings to see what is going on.

It’s not perfect, but unlike Leisure Trust Board meetings, you can attend.

Again, So why does the Leisure Trust not want to publish or provide a copy of this Agenda before the next meeting?

Your guess is as good as mine…could it be to do with where the Agenda may be posted on line?

You will need to wait until after the next meeting on Tuesday 4 June 2019 to see the agenda for the last meeting on 26 February 2019 (over 3 months !).

Just to remind you, this is only an Agenda for a meeting, not some great state secret !

It would only take 2 minutes to email a copy of the Agenda, but.........

Re: Leisure Trust - Secret Agenda? 5 years ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: 18 February 2019 13:45
To: Walker, Margaret
Subject: Next ERCLT Board Meeting

Hi

When will the Agenda for the December ERCLT Board meeting be available.

When will the Minutes for the December ERCLT Board meeting be available.

When will the next ERCLT Board meeting take place and where.

Thanks

----Original message----
From : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Date : 18/02/2019 - 15:04 (GMT)
Subject : RE: Next ERCLT Board Meeting

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Agenda of the Board Meeting held on Tuesday 4 December 2018 will be published along with the minute  of that meeting once they have been ratified at the next Board meeting which is scheduled for Tuesday 26 February 2019.

That meeting will be held in The Foundry, Main Street , Barrhead.

If you require further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards
Margaret Walker
Personal Assistant to
Anthony McReavy
Chief Executive
East Renfrewshire Culture and Leisure Limited

Sent: 18 February 2019 15:30
Subject: Re: RE: Next ERCLT Board Meeting

Hi

Thanks for this.

I recall that Agendas have been published before minutes in the past.

I would request that Agendas are published before the meetings take place.

That would appear to be their purpose.

I don't think there is anything unreasonable in that.

Thanks

----Original message----
From : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Date : 18/02/2019 - 16:28 (GMT)
Subject : RE: RE: Next ERCLT Board Meeting

The Agendas for the Board meetings have not been published ahead of the meeting in the past, and, at  this stage, the Board members have not been issued the Agenda for the meeting on 26 February 2019.

Regards
Margaret Walker
Personal Assistant to
Anthony McReavy
Chief Executive

Sent: 18 February 2019 16:59
Subject: Re: RE: RE: Next ERCLT Board Meeting

Hi

Would appreciate and request if when Agenda is issued to Board members that it is published.

I don't think there is anything unreasonable in that.

Thanks

----Original message----
Date : 20/02/2019 - 10:16 (GMT)
Subject : RE: RE: RE: Next ERCLT Board Meeting

Thank you for your e-mail regarding publishing the Agenda for the Board meeting to be held on 26 February  2019.

The Agenda for the meeting is published along with the approved minute of the meeting.

To publish the  Agenda before the meeting would incur extra work and at this stage, we do not have the extra capacity within the Business Support Unit to take on extra work.

I now consider this matter closed.

Regards
Margaret Walker
Personal Assistant to
Anthony McReavy
Chief Executive

Re: Leisure Trust - Secret Agenda? 5 years ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
----Original message----
Date : 20/02/2019 - 12:21 (GMT)
To : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Subject : Re: RE: RE: RE: Next ERCLT Board Meeting

Hi

Now that we have established there is no reason to withhold the Agendas I request that the December and February(when made available to Board Members) Agendas are emailed to me.

This should only take 2 mins of your time and not place extra work on the (already overworked) Business Support Unit.

Again, I don't think this is an unreasonable request.

Thanks

------ Original Message ------
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Wednesday, 27 Feb, 2019 At 12:02
Subject: Re: RE: RE: RE: Next ERCLT Board Meeting

Hi

As said below -
Now that we have established there is no reason to withhold the Agendas under FOI, the only reason given is ' to publish the Agenda before the meeting would incur  extra work and at this stage, we do not have the extra capacity within the Business Support Unit to take on extra work.'

Would appreciate that you take 2 mins of your time to email me the December and February Trust Board Meeting Agendas.

Thanks

Sent: 12 March 2019 12:17
Subject: Complaint - Liesure Trust Agenda for 26 February 2019 Board meeting.

Hi

Complaint

Document: Agenda Leisure Trust Board Meeting held on 26 February 2019

It has been established that the document above is only being withheld for this reason -
' to publish the Agenda before the meeting would incur extra work and at this stage, we do not have the extra capacity within the Business Support Unit to take on extra  work.'

This is not a legitimate reason for withholding publication of this document.

Would appreciate that you publish or take 2 mins of your time to email me the Trust Board Meeting Agenda for the 26 February 2019 meeting.

Thanks

From: "Walker, Margaret" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 12 Mar, 2019 At 12:23
Subject: RE: Complaint - Liesure Trust Agenda for 26 February 2019 Board meeting.

The procedure that applies to the publication of Agendas and Minutes of Board meetings are that they are published on the website after the following Board of  Trustees meeting.

This procedure will continue to apply.

Regards
Margaret Walker  
Personal Assistant to  
Anthony McReavy
Chief Executive

To: "Walker, Margaret" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 12 Mar, 2019 At 12:26
Subject: RE: Complaint - Liesure Trust Agenda for 26 February 2019 Board meeting.

Hi Margaret

I have registered a complaint.

You must follow your organisations complaints system/procedures.

Thanks

Re: Leisure Trust - Secret Agenda? 5 years ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "ERCLT Business Support" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 19 Mar, 2019 At 16:49
Subject: Complaint reference number 101001934786

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding publication of Agenda’s for the Board of East Renfrewshire Culture and Leisure Trust Limited (ERCLT).  

ERCLT is committed to providing high quality customer service.  

We value your feedback and use this information to help us improve our services.

I can confirm the procedure that applies to the publication of Agendas and Minutes of Board meetings are that they are published on  the ERCLT website after the following Board of Trustees meeting, at this time there are no plans to change this procedure and I can confirm this will continue to apply.  
To publish the agenda before the meeting will incur additional work.

Following the review of your complaint the first stage of the ERCLT’s Complaints Handling Procedure is now complete.  

I hope you are reassured that I have considered  all of the background and circumstances relating to your complaint.

If you are not satisfied with my response you can contact myself at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it quoting the reference number above to discuss the matter further.

If you remain dissatisfied you have the option at this stage to have the matter investigated through the final stage of the complaints procedure.  

If you require  any further information at this time, please contact myself at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , quoting the reference number above.  

Full details of our complaints procedure are also available on the website www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/complaints or can be sent to you directly.

Iain Stewart
Support Services Manager

To: "ERCLT Business Support" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Wednesday, 20 Mar, 2019 At 09:58
Subject: Re: Complaint reference number 101001934786

Hi Iain

You say -  'If you are not satisfied with my response you can contact myself at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it quoting the reference number above to discuss the matter further.'

I wish to 'discuss the matter further'.......................

I have said you can email me a copy of the Agenda.

Agendas by common convention are made available before meetings - even East Renfrewshire Council make their meeting agendas available before all their meetings.

The Agenda is not subject to approval by the Leisure Trust Board.

The Agenda is not being withheld under the Freedom of Information legislation.

You have not answered the Complaint on why you refuse my request to email me a copy of the Agenda for the 26 February 2019 meeting.

As said, it has been established that the document above is only being withheld for this reason -
' to publish the Agenda before the meeting would incur extra work and at this stage, we do not have the extra capacity within the Business Support Unit to take on extra  work.'

This is not a legitimate reason for withholding publication of this document.

But I have said, you can email me a copy.

Again I request that you email me a copy of the Agenda for the 26 February 2019 meeting.

You say - 'ERCLT is committed to providing high quality customer service.  We value your feedback and use this information to help us improve our services.'

As a Council Tax Payer my opinion/feedback is that your refusal in this instance is a waste of time/money for both myself and the Council, and this process is costing far more time/money than the simple act of emailing me a copy of the requested agenda.

Thanks

From: "ERCLT Business Support" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 27 Mar, 2019 At 14:49
Subject: Complaint Reference Number 101001934786

Thank you for your email dated 20 March 2019.                        

East Renfrewshire Culture and Leisure Trust are committed to providing high quality customer service.  

We value your feedback and use this information to help us improve our services.

I have completed my investigation of the issues that you have raised in accordance with the final stage of our Complaints Handling Procedure and can advise you the  procedure that applies to the scheduling of the publication of Agendas and Minutes of Board meetings are that they are published on the ERCLT website after the following Board of Trustees meeting.  

There are no plans to change this procedure and I can confirm  this will continue to apply.  

To publish the agenda before the meeting will incur additional work.

I hope you are reassured that I have considered all of the background and circumstances relating to your case.  

If you remain dissatisfied, the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) is the final stage for complaints about most organisations that provide public services  in Scotland, including councils.  

The SPSO cannot normally look at complaints about events that happened more than a year ago or matters that have been or will be considered in court.  

Their service  is independent, free and confidential.  The SPSO can be contacted at 4 Melville Street, Edinburgh EH3 7NS on 0800 377 7330 or at their website www.spso.org.uk.

Yours sincerely
Iain Stewart
Support Services Manager

To: "ERCLT Business Support" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 28 Mar, 2019 At 10:47
Subject: Re: Complaint Reference Number 101001934786

Hi

Thanks for this.

However, I am not  reassured that you have considered all of the background and circumstances relating to my case.  

You have not given a reason why you will not email me a copy of the requested agenda.

In my opinion this is a reasonable offer of compromise, if as you say, you cannot publish it as this will cause you additional work(although I am still of the opinion this is not a reasonable reason for withholding).

Again, I am open to settling this without recourse to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO).

I think my offer for you to email me a copy of the requested agenda is a reasonable compromise.

If I do not hear back from you I will follow your instruction to contact SPSO.

As a Council Tax Payer my opinion/feedback is that your refusal in this instance is a waste of time/money for both myself and the Council, and this process is costing far more time/money than the simple act of emailing me a copy of the requested agenda.

Thanks

Sent: Monday, 1 Apr, 2019 At 14:45
Subject: Complaint Reference Number 101001934786

Thank you for your email dated 28 March 2019. 

I can confirm there are no plans to change the procedure that applies to the scheduling of the publication of Agendas and Minutes of Board meetings are that they are published  on the ERCLT website after the following Board of Trustees meeting. 

I consider the matter closed.

Yours sincerely
Iain Stewart
Support Services Manager

Re: Leisure Trust - Secret Agenda? 5 years ago #5

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Complaint to SPSO registered on line -

From: "SPSO" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Saturday, 13 Apr, 2019 At 13:35
Subject: SPSO Complaint Form Confirmation

Thank you for your complaint.

If you uploaded documents with your complaint form, we will write to you again within three working days.

If you plan to post documents separately, we will not take any action until we receive them.

If we do not receive your documents within two weeks we will assume that you do not wish to continue your complaint.

We want you to know how we will use the information you have sent us and who we may share this with.

Details about this can be found in our ‘SPSO Complaints and Privacy’ leaflet, available on our website here:

www.spso.org.uk/leaflets-and-forms

If you have any problems or questions, please phone us on 0800 377 7330.

I am writing to you as instructed by Iain Stewart, Support Services Manager, East Renfrewshire Culture and Leisure Limited(ERCLT) in their email dated 27 March 2019.

Mr Stewart says ‘I hope you are reassured that I have considered all of the background and circumstances relating to your case. ’

However I am not reassured.

Mr Stewart has not given a reason as to why my offer of compromise to email me a copy of the Agenda has not been considered.

I consider this a reasonable compromise in the circumstances.

Agendas by common convention are made available before meetings - even East Renfrewshire Council make their meeting agendas available before all their meetings.

The Agenda is not subject to approval by the Leisure Trust Board.

The Agenda is not being withheld under the Freedom of Information legislation.

ERCLT have not answered the Complaint on why they refuse my request to email me a copy of the Agenda for the 26 February 2019 meeting.

Leisure Trust Board Meetings are held in private.

Unlike Council meetings, East Renfrewshire Council Tax Payers, Residents and/or members of the public are not allowed to attend.

Residents/Council Tax Payers will need to wait until after the next meeting on Tuesday 4 June 2019 to see the agenda for the last meeting on 26 February 2019 (over 3 months !).

This is only an Agenda for a meeting, not some great state secret !

It would only take 2 minutes to email a copy of the Agenda.

Mr Stewart says -
‘East Renfrewshire Culture and Leisure Trust are committed to providing high quality customer service.  We value your feedback and use this information to help us improve our services.’

I would again request that East Renfrewshire Culture and Leisure Limited email me a copy of the agenda for the Board Meeting held on 26 February 2019.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds