ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

East Renfrewshire Leisure Trust Scrutinises Itself - Audit & Scrutiny Committee sidelined and excluded
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: East Renfrewshire Leisure Trust Scrutinises Itself - Audit & Scrutiny Committee sidelined and excluded

Re: East Renfrewshire Leisure Trust Scrutinises Itself - Audit & Scrutiny Committee sidelined and excluded 4 years, 5 months ago #7

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
But it would appear that the Audit & Scrutiny Committee do take an interest in what happens at the Leisure trust -

------ Original Message ------
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Saturday, 19 Oct, 2019 At 13:33
Subject: Leisure Trust - Best Value type review to be carried out by the Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer

Dear Chief Auditor(and Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer)

I am writing to you as Chief Auditor to request that the following regarding a contract with Big Wave Media be included in the East Renfrewshire Culture & Leisure Trust review to be undertaken by the Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer.

I refer to the 15 AUGUST 2019 Report by Chief Auditor - INTERNAL AUDIT PLAN PROGRESS REPORT 2019/20 QUARTER 1

and the minutes of the 15 August 2019 Audit & Scrutiny meeting (* see attached below) that said -

'the Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer would progress a Best Value type review on the Trust'

I wish to register my concern over a contract East Renfrewshire Culture and Leisure Trust(ERCLT) entered into with a company named Big Wave Media.

I request that this contract and spend be investigated/reviewed in the audit to be undertaken by the Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer(would appreciate if you can give name).

The only sum given by ERCLT for this contract with Big Wave Media was for £24,000.00.

However, from a FOI request for payment invoices, ERCLT have paid at least £67,577.04 to Big Wave Media -

31/12/2016 - £13,435.32

31/03/2017 - £1,435.32

30/04/2017 to 30/11/2018 - 20 monthly payments of £2,635.32 = £52,706.40

Total - £67,577.04

It is of great concern that this contract has now cost East Renfrewshire Council tax payers nearly 3 times(£67,577.04) the original sum of £24,000.00 and has failed to deliver the promised benefits.

It is also of great concern that the Chief Executive claims a saving of £22,000.00 p.a. when in fact they have spent at least £67,577.04 not £24,000.00.

It is also of great concern that The Trust has tried to hide this by not publishing any of this information and that it has only come to light via Freedom of Information(FOI) requests and appeal to the Scottish Information Commissioner.

The Chief Executive of the Trust has admitted the failings of the contract but has not explained the cost of £67,577.04 to East Renfrewshire Council Tax Payers.......................

............................(*)

'904
INTERNAL AUDIT PLAN 2019/20-IMPLEMENTATION PROGRESS REPORT –APRIL TO JUNE 2019

974.The committee considered a report by the Chief Auditor regarding progress made on the implementation of the 2019/20 Internal Audit Plan from 1 April to 30 June 2019.

It was confirmed that during the quarter three audit reports relating to planned 2019/20 audit work had been issued, that the management response for one of the audit reports issued had yet to be received the due date for which had not yet passed,and that a management response to a 2018/19 report had now been received.

Related details were provided.

Reference was also made to the quarterly performance indicators (PIs) for the section and four new requests for assistance dealt with using contingency time.

Having commented on the staffing position within the section, the report proposed that a planned audit on the operation of the Culture and Leisure Trust be deleted from the Audit Plan, senior management having proposed instead that a Best Value type review be carried out by the Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer, the findings of which would be reported to the committee in due course.

Whilst commenting on the report, the Chief Auditor clarified that the provision of feedback on the City Deal audit related to the implementation of the 2018/19 Internal Audit Plan.

In response to questions, she reported that she was not aware of any enhanced payments being paid to employees who were working on City Deal projects now.

Further reference was made to the proposed way forward on the Culture and Leisure Trust and the proposed Best Value type review to be progressed by the Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer.

The committee, following discussion, agreed:-
(a)not to seek any of the reports issued in the quarter at this stage;

(b)to approve the deletion of the audit of the operation of the Culture and Leisure Trust from the 2019/20 Audit Plan on the basis proposed, in respect of which the Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer would progress a Best Value type review on the Trust, the findings of which would be reported to the committee in due course;

and

(c)otherwise, to note the report and related comments made.'

Would appreciate acknowledgement and reply.

Thanks

Re: East Renfrewshire Leisure Trust Scrutinises Itself - Audit & Scrutiny Committee sidelined and excluded 4 years, 5 months ago #8

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Blair, Michelle" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: "Leleux, Charles" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 23 Oct, 2019 At 12:43
Subject: RE: Leisure Trust - Best Value type review to be carried out by the Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer

The name of the Scrutiny and Evaluation Officer is Charles Leleux. I have copied your email to him so he will respond to you in due course.

Regards
Michelle
Michelle Blair
Chief Auditor
Chief Executive's Office/Internal Audit

From: "Leleux, Charles" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 25 Oct, 2019 At 14:26
Subject: Leisure Trust - Best Value Review

The Chief Auditor has passed to me your recent communication, and I have noted your concerns.

The remit for the best value review of the Culture and Leisure Trust has already been agreed.

Kind regards,
Charles Leleux
Charles Leleux
Scrutiny & Evaluation Officer

To: "Leleux, Charles" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 25 Oct, 2019 At 15:03
Subject: Re: Leisure Trust - Best Value Review

Hi Charles

Thanks for this.

Where can I find the remit?

When was the remit compiled?

Who was involved?

Who agreed the remit?

When was it agreed?

Is any of the above minuted?

Your help with this matter is appreciated.

Thanks

From: "Leleux, Charles" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 30 Oct, 2019 At 14:08
Subject: Leisure Trust - Best Value Review

Thank-you for your communication of 25 October. I hope to respond to your request shortly.

Kind regards,
Charles Leleux
Charles Leleux
Scrutiny & Evaluation Officer
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds