ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Councillors and Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Councillors and Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group

Councillors and Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group 4 years, 2 months ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: 03 January 2020 16:49
Subject:Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

I am writing to you regarding the Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

The first report regarding this matter was commissioned in early 2014. It is now 2020 - 7 years on.

I would request that your constituents are represented regarding this matter and the following be addressed in the terms of reference and/or agenda -

1. Why no representation on the group from Busby, Clarkston, Netherlee, Williamwood ? How will these Residents have their views/requirements represented?

2. The Councils inability to maintain the existing complex( if the Council had spent money on maintaining the existing complex, there would not be such an urgent need for new build replacement)

3. The Councils inability to maintain any new Leisure Complex and/or buildings in Eastwood Park

4. What is the cost of the continuing support by consultants?

5. What input from Residents/Leisure Centre Users? Why Membership of group should not include Residents/Leisure Centre Users?

6. The influence of the Leisure Trust on the group? (Group dominated by 6 Leisure Trust members - CEO + 1 non elected member + 4 Elected members)

7. What will be the cost for this cross party member and officer working group?

8. What about openness and transparency -

- Is this cross party member and officer working group to be conducted in secrecy?

- When can we expect information during the life of this cross party member and officer working group?

- Will this this cross party member and officer working group conduct business/convene in public?

- Will this cross party member and officer working group meetings be available via webcast?

9. The case for a 50m pool?

10. The cost of 50m pool?

11. The case for a 25m pool?

12. The saving cost of 25m pool?

13. What about running costs for all the options?

14. What about Maintenance costs for all the options?

15. Will the actual cost be nearer £60M?

16. How can the current Leisure Centre/pool be kept open for another 5 years?

17. Running Costs for keeping Leisure Centre/pool open for another 5 years?

18. Maintenance Costs for keeping Leisure Centre/pool open for another 5 years?

19. Public transport access to Eastwood Park from Busby, Clarkston, Netherlee, Williamwood

20. Is this not a 'Vanity Project' rather than what is actually required?

21. There is a sizeable number who regularly use the current gym facilities and who are currently satisfied with the size of the gym and the facilities - They are not interested in a large 'barn' gym and a Changing Village. How will their views be represented by this group ?

22. Is Refurbishment of the current facilities still a viable option?

23. It is essential that the input from Councillors who are members of East Renfrewshire Culture & Leisure Trust Board - Councillors Paul O’Kane , Colm Merrick, Barbara Grant , Jim Fletcher is clearly defined as to whether they are acting on behalf of

- Their constituents/Council

or

- East Renfrewshire Culture & Leisure Trust

For clarification -

Councillors who are members of East Renfrewshire Culture & Leisure Trust Board -

Councillor Paul O’Kane , Councillor Colm Merrick, Councillor Barbara Grant , Councillor Jim Fletcher

Company law demands that -

‘all board members must place the interest of the trust before that of the Local Authority, including councillors and officers.’

'Although councillors can and will be on the board, the law is clear that they are there in a private capacity and not present to reflect the needs of the council.'

23. The latest info from The Leisure Trust still posted on their Website is -

'"Therefore, we strongly support Option 4 - a new state-of-the-art culture and leisure facility on a different site within the Eastwood area. This is the only option which would allow us to gain a specifically designed culture and leisure centre which can provide all these required facilities.'

Is it still the view of the Leisure Trust that the only option is a new build on an alternative 'greenspace' site?

24. Is the School/Education Dept taking over Eastwood Park?

Your help with raising and addressing these matters with the group will be appreciated.

An acknowledgement and update would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Councillors and Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group 4 years, 2 months ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
From: "Lafferty, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Saturday, 4 Jan, 2020 At 14:45
Subject: RE:Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

Dear Sir,

I am unable to assist you.

Yours sincerely,
Cllr Alan Lafferty
Labour & Co-operative Member Ward 4
Convener for Environment
East Renfrewshire Council

Sent: 06 January 2020 14:34
To: Lafferty, A (Cllr)
Subject: RE: Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

Hi Alan

Would appreciate if you can give reasons why you are unable to assist me.

I asked that all your constituents are represented by requesting -

'I would request that your constituents are represented regarding this matter and the following be addressed in the terms of reference and/or agenda -'

My request was that (as you are my Councillor and I am your constituent) you ensure the views of all your constituents are heard and given due consideration by the Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

I thought that's what Councillors do. I though that's why they accepted payment. I thought that's what you say you will do when seeking election.

However, I would still like to be assured that all your constituents are represented and you will pass on these views for inclusion and be addressed in the terms of reference and/or agenda for the working group.

That is all I asked.

I don't think that this is an unreasonable or time consuming request.

Again, your help is appreciated.

Thanks

From: "Lafferty, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Monday, 6 Jan, 2020 At 17:47
Subject: RE: Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

While respecting your freedom to comment, I am under no obligation to endorse your views.

Indeed I cannot promote every constituent’s views.

I am accountable to the Electors who have seen fit to elect and re-elect me over the past six Council elections.

Cllr Alan Lafferty
Labour & Co-operative Member Ward 4
Convener for Environment
East Renfrewshire Council

To: "Lafferty, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Monday, 6 Jan, 2020 At 18:42

Hi Alan

Thanks for this.

I did not ask you to endorse my views.

I did not ask you to promote only my views.

However, others must also share these views.

My request was that (as you are my Councillor and I am your constituent) you ensure the views of all your constituents are heard and given due consideration by the Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

The Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group does not have representation from Busby, Clarkston, Netherlee, Williamwood residents/constituents.

By forwarding my request you are not endorsing or promoting my views. You are ensuring that all your constituents are heard and given due consideration by the Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

You are at liberty to say to the Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group that you do not agree with the views.

But, as the group does not have representation from Busby, Clarkston, Netherlee, Williamwood residents/constituents, I would still say it is part of democracy that you ensure the group are aware of these views.

They are not extreme views.

I am an Elector.

I have never not voted.

However, I did not know I had to vote for you, for you to assist me with my request.

But, under the proportional voting system, I have voted for you by marking my ballot paper with a preference number beside your name.

Again your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Councillors and Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group 4 years, 2 months ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 3 Jan, 2020 At 19:49
Subject: Re:Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

Dear Sir

Can I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy and prosperous 2020

As you are very well aware, most of your questions have been answered several times and I am not proposing to enter into extended dialogue yet again on this issue

You have been referred several to the CEO of the Trust and I am informed he has replied to you

All the best for the coming year

Stewart

Re: Councillors and Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group 4 years, 2 months ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
-------- Original message --------
ate:03/01/2020 20:44 (GMT+00:00)
To: "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Subject:Re:Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

Hi Stewart

Thanks for this and my best wishes for the New Year.

However in this instance you do talk nonsense.

The Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group has been set up because ALL the questions have not been answered and the Council doesn't know what to do !

As the Council are spending up to £40 - 60M(The Trust CEO is not spending or responsible for this money), I don't think that is much to ask.

Thanks

Re: Councillors and Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group 4 years, 2 months ago #5

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 3 Jan, 2020 At 21:41
Subject: Re:Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email and I can inform you that I have been accused of talking nonsense in the past, mainly by political opponents

In this instance, the working group has been set up to include all Cllrs on the Trust Board along with the local Giffnock & Thornliebank Cllrs and they will be looking at all aspects of the leisure centre proposals.

Once there is a concensus, the proposals will come back to the council for discussion, debate and possible approval. There will be public consultation at every step.

If of course, you still think I am talking nonsense, please write to the Leader of the Council, Cllr Buchanan for further information

Once again, many thanks for your correspondence

Stewart

Re: Councillors and Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group 4 years, 2 months ago #6

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
-------- Original message --------
Date:06/01/2020 14:24 (GMT+00:00)
To: "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Subject: Re: Eastwood Park Masterplan cross party member and officer working group.

Hi Stewart

I am not a political opponent. I am not a member of any political party and/or any group.

I am a constituent and you are an elected Councillor for my Ward.

It was nonsense. Your reply made no sense.

I asked that all your constituents are represented by requesting -

'I would request that your constituents are represented regarding this matter and the following be addressed in the terms of reference and/or agenda -'

I thought that's what Councillors do. I though that's why they accepted payment. I thought that's what you say you will do when seeking election.

Your original reply did not address any of this.

Your latest reply is a little more informative.

However, I would still like to be assured that you will pass on these views for inclusion and be addressed in the terms of reference and/or agenda for the working group.

That is all I asked.

Surely, my request forms part of the public consultation?

Can you say in what form the public consultation will take and when?

Thanks
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds