Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Widespread Black Ice Problem - Saturday 18 January 2020
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Widespread Black Ice Problem - Saturday 18 January 2020

Re: Widespread Black Ice Problem - Saturday 18 January 2020 4 years, 2 months ago #13

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Sunday, 19 Jan, 2020 At 10:06
Subject: Re: Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre - Black Ice - treacherous and dangerous - Saturday 18/1/2020

Hi David

Attended Gym at Eastwood Park 08:50 - 10:10 Saturday morning 18 January 2020.

There were Leisure Centre staff? advising traffic at the entrance from the main road warning of
treacherous and dangerous conditions with sheet ice & black ice on the roads, in the car parks and surrounding pavements.

Indeed they were correct. It was very treacherous and dangerous !

Myself and many others were slipping and sliding all over the place.

There was no evidence of gritting and salting having taken place.

Can you clarify what the problem was with the lack of gritting and salting the roads, the car parks and surrounding pavements in the park.

The Centre Staff said they had contacted the Council.

Please clarify the time when the Council were advised about the black ice and the time when the area was eventually gritted and salted.

You will be aware that this lack of gritting and salting has been raised as a problem for the last 5-6 years.

You help with this matter will be appreciated.

Thanks

To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Tuesday, 21 Jan, 2020 At 12:36
Subject: Re: Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre - Black Ice - treacherous and dangerous - Saturday 18/1/2020

Hi David

Would appreciate a quick indication as to what you can do regarding this matter.

As a senior constituent and trying to keep fit by attending the gym it's ironic that I have to take evasive action to avoid breaking a leg and/or dislocating a hip to get there and any injury to myself is viewed as not a priority.

Again, your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

+++++++++ COUNCILLOR DAVID MACDONALD DID NOT REPLY ++++++++++++

Re: Widespread Black Ice Problem - Saturday 18 January 2020 4 years, 2 months ago #14

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Phil Daws was involved in compiling the Winter Maintenance Arrangements report.

He has been involved with previous gritting/salting problems.

Sent: 19 January 2020 10:12
To: Daws, Phil
Subject: Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre - Black Ice - treacherous and dangerous - Saturday 18/1/2020

Hi Phil

Again, this problem with Eastwood Park !

There were Leisure Centre staff? advising traffic at the entrance from the main road warning of

treacherous and dangerous conditions with sheet ice & black ice on the roads, in the car parks and surrounding pavements.

Can you clarify what the problem was with the lack of gritting and salting the roads, the car parks and surrounding pavements in the park.

Please clarify the time when the Council were advised about the black ice and the time when the area was eventually gritted and salted.

You will be aware that this lack of gritting and salting has been raised as a problem for the last 5-6 years.

Thanks

From: "EN Customer Relations" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: "Daws, Phil" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 14:31
Subject: RE: Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre - Black Ice - treacherous and dangerous - Saturday 18/1/2020

I refer to your below email to Phil Daws.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your email below your email.

Your reporting of winter maintenance issues in Eastwood Park were reported to Property Services.

Gritting within the Eastwood Park is managed by Property Services with Environment Department the appropriate officers were notified of your reporting.

For information on our winter maintenance and for reporting these issues please see attached link to pages on our website www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/winter-maintenance.

If you wish to report winter maintenance issues please call our call centre on 0141 577 3001 or use our online report it form www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/article/9795...-or-pavement-problem

Thank you for reporting this matter.

Kind Regards,
Senior Customer Relations Officer
Environment Department
Tel: 0141 577 3882 or 07741 701303
Address: Spiersbridge Offices, Spiersbridge Business Park, Thornliebank, G46 8NG

Sent: 05 February 2020 14:39
To: EN Customer Relations < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: Daws, Phil < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Subject: RE: Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre - Black Ice - treacherous and dangerous - Saturday 18/1/2020

Hi

Thanks for this.

However you/Property Services/ Phil Daws (who compiled the Winter Maintenance report) have not given the requested information -

Thanks

From: "EN Customer Relations" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
To: "EN Customer Relations" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: "Daws, Phil" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 15:19

Hi

Just to make you aware [my name] submitted an FOI request yesterday re the gritting within the Eastwood Park.

Thanks
Customer Relations Officer
Environment Department
Phone Number 07867 441461
Address: Spiersbridge Offices, Spiersbridge Business Park, Thornliebank, G46 8NG

To: "EN Customer Relations" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 15:27

Hi

Thanks for this, but I presume you didn't mean to send it to me?

But, why should [your name] be aware of my FOI requests?

Thanks

Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 15:22
Subject: Recall: Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre - Black Ice - treacherous and dangerous - Saturday 18/1/2020

EN Customer Relations would like to recall the message, "Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre - Black Ice - treacherous and dangerous - Saturday 18/1/2020".

Re: Widespread Black Ice Problem - Saturday 18 January 2020 4 years, 2 months ago #15

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: Sunday, 19 Jan, 2020 At 10:06

Hi Annette

Thanks

Sent: 21 January 2020 12:35
To: Ireland, A (Cllr) < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >

Hi Annette

Would appreciate a quick indication as to what you can do regarding this matter.

As a senior constituent and trying to keep fit by attending the gym it's ironic that I have to take evasive action to avoid breaking a leg and/or dislocating a hip to get there and any injury to myself is viewed as not a priority.

Again, your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Widespread Black Ice Problem - Saturday 18 January 2020 4 years, 2 months ago #16

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, Well, Well !

Why would the Convener for Environment Cllr Alan Lafferty and the Chair of the Audit & Scrutiny Committee Cllr Stewart Miller

- not be interested in that we could be paying for a service that was not being provided ?

- why not just admit it and move on ?

- it wasn't really that difficult was it?

We'll come back later to the matter of who was responsible for the 'oversight'.

From: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 21 Jan, 2020 At 16:10

Afternoon

Many thanks for your email.

Upon receipt I immediately checked with our Roads Department whether gritting had been carried out.

They have today confirmed that there was an oversight by the contractor and that Eastwood Park was not gritted in the early hours of Saturday morning.

I have been assured that this will not happen again and they have asked that I pass on their thanks for bringing this to their attention.

Regards

Cllr Annette Ireland
Ward No. 4 Clarkston, Netherlee & Williamwood
East Renfrewshire Council Headquarters,
Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road, Giffnock G46 6UG

Re: Widespread Black Ice Problem - Saturday 18 January 2020 4 years, 2 months ago #17

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
To: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 22 Jan, 2020 At 10:12

Hi Annette

Many thanks for this and your help.

You say 'I have been assured that this will not happen again'

I will take this with 'a pinch of salt'

I have been given this same assurance 'that this will not happen again' by Councillors/Officials every year for the past 5/6 years.

I think under the circumstances we deserve a more detailed explanation other than 'oversight'.

What were the reasons for this 'oversight'

How can I be assured?

What has changed?

Will the contractor face any penalties?

'Previously -
Sent: 22 January 2018
To: Daws, Phil
Subject: Re: RE: Eastwood Park Campus - Historical Snow/Ice problems

I think we have a problem here.

As you can see I have been previously assured by Jim Sneddon that there is a policy and contract in place.

What am I meant to believe now regarding these assurances?

Was there a policy and contract in place?

Please let me know.

Thanks

From : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Date : 22/01/2018
Subject : RE: Eastwood Park Campus - Historical Snow/Ice problems

Thank you for this.

It is my intention to review all aspects of gritting policies and resources in the next 2 months.

As such feedback such as that received from yourself is very helpful

Kind regards
Phil Daws
Head of Environment (Strategic Services)
East Renfrewshire Council
0141 577 3186
East Renfrewshire: Your Council, Your Future'

Again, your help is appreciated.

Thanks

To: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 14:43
Subject: Would appreciate courtesy of a reply - RE: Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre - Black Ice - treacherous and dangerous - Saturday 18/1/2020

Hi Annette

I do appreciate that you are busy,

But, it can't take that long to get my requested information(or let me know why you cannot answer)

I think under the circumstances we deserve a more detailed explanation other than 'oversight'.

- What were the reasons for this 'oversight'
- How can I be assured?
- What has changed?
- Will the contractor face any penalties?

Again, your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Widespread Black Ice Problem - Saturday 18 January 2020 4 years, 2 months ago #18

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 6 Feb, 2020 At 13:11
Subject: RE: Would appreciate courtesy of a reply - RE: Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre - Black Ice - treacherous and dangerous - Saturday 18/1/2020

Further to my previous email, I have spoken again to our environment department on this issue.

I have been informed that the contractor is a newly appointed contractor and that unfortunately the ‘oversight’ was that they did not place Eastwood Park on their system for gritting.

This was, of course, subsequent to receiving an email containing these details from the Council.

You can be assured that this will not happen again as this oversight has been corrected and Eastwood Park is now on their system and the contractor has confirmed that the area will be gritted at all correct times.

I want to thank you so much for bring this to my attention.

Many thanks

Regards
Cllr Annette Ireland (SNP)
Ward No. 4 Clarkston, Netherlee & Williamwood
East Renfrewshire Council Headquarters,
Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road, Giffnock G46 6UG
Time to create page: 0.81 seconds