ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

East Renfrewshire Council Licensing Forum?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: East Renfrewshire Council Licensing Forum?

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Licensing Forum? 1 year, 10 months ago #13

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
From: "McMahon, Dominic" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 12 Nov, 2021 At 11:00
Subject: RE: East Renfrewshire Local Licensing Forum - Current Update

Thank you for your email, I apologise for my late reply, due to the ongoing pandemic my time in the office is extremely limited.

In my capacity as Chair of the Licensing Forum I am still exploring a safe way for the Forum to meet.

The option of On Line meetings is still not agreeable to Forum members and currently East Renfrewshire Council is not able to accommodate us for in person meetings

I am also conducting a membership review as currently we appear not to have enough members to obtain a quorum.

With this in mind I am engaging with East Renfrewshire Council to assist in recruiting new members to allow us to obtain quorum. Currently resources are limited.

The current Licensing Board is now reaching the end of its tenure in April.

A new Licencing Board will be established after the local elections in May.

With this in mind and the current level of resources being offered we would aim to conclude our membership recruitment by May 2022 and look to have a meeting in June 2022.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Kind regards
Dominic
Dominic McMahon
Licensing Standards Officer
Environment

To: "McMahon, Dominic" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Monday, 13 Jun, 2022 At 15:10
Subject: East Renfrewshire Local Licensing Forum - Current Update June 2022

Hi Dominic

Local Licensing Forum

Would appreciate update on progress on details you gave in your last email below(12/11/2021) regarding

- membership review
- engaging with East Renfrewshire Council to assist in recruiting new members
- conclude membership recruitment by May 2022
- A new Licencing Board will be established after the local elections in May - Members?
- look to have a meeting in June 2022.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Licensing Forum? 1 year, 10 months ago #14

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "McMahon, Dominic" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 17 Jun, 2022 At 10:57
Subject: Re: East Renfrewshire Local Licensing Forum - Current Update June 2022

I apologise for my late reply, we are currently extremely short staffed at the moment.

A report has been prepared and is scheduled to go to the next available Council Meeting after the recess on the reestablishment of the Licensing Forum.

Currently we have not received the list of new Licensing Board Members from the Council.

Once we have the list this the new members will be placed on the Licensing Board section of the Councils website.

Kind regards
Dominic
Dominic McMahon

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Licensing Forum? 1 year, 9 months ago #15

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: Friday, 1 Jul, 2022 At 11:01
Subject: Re: East Renfrewshire Local Licensing Forum - Current Update June 2022

Thank you for your email.

As stated, I have requested that the Forum Report go to the next available Council Meeting after the recess.

The meeting held on June 29th was the last Council meeting before the recess and I was informed that the Agenda was full.

I am hopeful that the Forum report will make the first meeting after the recess but I have no control over this process.

Kind regards
Dominic
Dominic McMahon

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Licensing Forum? 1 year, 8 months ago #16

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
11/8/2022

Published Barrhead News On Line

www.barrheadnews.com/news/

East Renfrewshire sees more than 60 deaths caused by alcohol
24 mins ago

By Jacob Nicol
@JacobNicolNews
Reporter

MORE than 60 deaths caused by alcohol have been recorded in East Renfrewshire over the past five years, it has been revealed.

The tragic toll is included in new figures released by National Records of Scotland that cover 2017 to 2021.

With a total of 61 fatalities in that period, East Renfrewshire had the fifth lowest loss of life from alcohol-specific conditions out of the 32 council areas across Scotland.

Only the Shetland Islands, Western Isles, Orkney Islands and Clackmannanshire had fewer deaths.

Campaigners have urged the Scottish Government to produce an “emergency response” to alcohol harm.

Alison Douglas, chief executive of Alcohol Focus Scotland, said: “Each of these deaths is a life cut tragically short and leaves behind family members and friends suffering their loss.

“These impacts are experienced unequally, with many more people dying in our poorest communities. We seem to almost accept this toll as inevitable but we should not. Each death can be prevented.

“Action must include investment in support for those who already have alcohol problems but we must also redouble our efforts to prevent the next generation of drinkers developing patterns of drinking that damage their health.”

The new figures also show that, after adjusting for age, the rate of mortality from alcohol-specific deaths in East Renfrewshire over this period was 12.5 deaths per 100,000 residents – the fourth lowest in Scotland.

Inverclyde had the worst death rate at 31.7.

Across Scotland as a whole, there were 1,245 deaths from alcohol last year – the highest since 2008.

Two-thirds of those who died from conditions caused by alcohol were male, while the average age of deaths was around 59 for women and almost 60 for men.

Public Health Minister Maree Todd said the Scottish Government is committed to tackling the problem.

She added: “These figures show that Scotland continues to have a problematic relationship with alcohol and we are determined to do all we can to address that.

“The introduction of minimum unit pricing has helped reduce alcohol sales to their lowest on record but we are determined to do even more to tackle the scale of alcohol-specific deaths.”

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Licensing Forum? 1 year, 7 months ago #17

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
To: "McMahon, Dominic" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 11 Aug, 2022 At 10:00
Subject: Re: East Renfrewshire Local Licensing Forum - Current Update August 2022

Hi Dominic

Would appreciate update on progress.

Can you update Council Website page -

www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/licensing-forum

with short history on last couple of years regarding the Forum.

Thanks

Sent: Tuesday, 6 Sep, 2022 At 17:31
Subject: Re: East Renfrewshire Local Licensing Forum - Current Update September 2022

Thank you for your email, I apologise for the delayed response,

With regards your request to have a summary of the past few years Forum activity published on the website I am afraid this is not possible given current staffing levels and work load priority's.

Kind regards

Dominic
Dominic McMahon

Sent: 07 September 2022 17:27
To: McMahon, Dominic < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Subject: Re: East Renfrewshire Local Licensing Forum - Current Update September 2022

Hi Dominic

Would really appreciate current progress/update to quickly enable me to make possible FOI request.

Regarding your previoues update, I can't see any reference to Licensing Forum in any Council Meeting Agendas.

Thanks

Sent: Thursday, 8 Sep, 2022 At 16:32

No change in the current situation regarding the Forum.

A report has been sent to the Council with a request that it be presented for discussion as soon as possible, unfortunately I have no control over this process and the Council will decide when this report is to be placed on the agenda and discussed.

Kind regards

Dominic
Dominic McMahon

Made On line
8/9/2022
1254-1476-3012-3514

This Freedom of Information(FOI) Requests concerns East Renfrewshire Licensing Forum.

Please provide details and recorded information regarding

- Contact with East Renfrewshire Council about the Forum meeting in Council Buildings again.

- Membership review conducted by Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) as currently appear not to have enough members to obtain a quorum.

- Engagement with Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) and East Renfrewshire Council to assist in recruiting new members.

- Report prepared at start June 2022 by Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) for East Renfrewshire Council.

Please provide this report. This report was prepared and intended for publication in early June 2022.

Also, please provide correspondence/emails/letters etc regarding the above

- to/from/between Council Officials

- to/from/between Council Officials and Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) and any others.

Electronic copies are acceptable.

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Licensing Forum? 1 year, 5 months ago #18

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Geddes, Craig" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 6 Oct, 2022 At 14:20
Subject: FoI 1254-1476-3012-3514: Licensing Forum

Thank you for the enclosed.

I am advised that the report on the above has been prepared.

It will be available as a matter of public record after it has been taken to the next Council meeting for consideration.

Under S27 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2004 it is therefore exempt from disclosure at this time as it is intended for future publication.

This exemption is subject to the public interest test. While there is a significant general public interest in openness, this has to be balanced against allowing policy and process to be properly considered through the appropriate democratic process and on balance I feel that the public interest is best served by allowing this mechanism to run its course and therefore for the exemption to be applied.

In relation to the remainder of your request I am advised:

- Contact with East Renfrewshire Council about the Forum meeting in Council Buildings again.
NO RECORDED INFORMATION

- Membership review conducted by Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) as currently appear not to have enough members to obtain a quorum.
NO RECORDED INFORMATION

- Engagement with Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) and East Renfrewshire Council to assist in recruiting new members.
NO RECORDED INFORMATION

- to/from/between Council Officials NO RECORDED INFORMATION

- to/from/between Council Officials and Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) and any others. NO RECORDED INFORMATION

Yours,

Craig Geddes
EAST RENFREWSHIRE COUNCIL - MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN EAST RENFREWSHIRE
www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk

East Renfrewshire Council offers the opportunity to apply to the Council for a review of how we have dealt with your enquiry. If you wish to proceed to review, please apply in writing within 40 working days to:

Chief Legal Officer
Council Headquarters
Rouken Glen Road
Giffnock G46 6UG,

Or by email at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

marking your letter or email “Freedom of Information, request for review”.

In your response please state the exact nature of the matter you wish to be reviewed.

The review will be carried out within 20 working days of receipt.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the review, you have the right to then appeal to the Scottish Information Commissioner who has extensive powers to investigate such matters. His address is:

Scottish Information Commissioner
Kinburn Castle
St. Andrews
Fife KY16 9DS

Sent: 06 October 2022 16:33
To: Geddes, Craig < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Subject: Re: FoI 1254-1476-3012-3514: Licensing Forum

Hi Craig

Thanks for this.

However, I was slightly surprised that the response did not come from Licensing Standards Officer who deals with the Forum.

You say regarding requested report -

'It will be available as a matter of public record after it has been taken to the next Council meeting for consideration.'

Can you confirm you are referring to the Full Council Meeting to be held 26 October 2022 and confirm that it will be presented to this meeting( some 5 months after being prepared and completed)?

Thanks

From: "Geddes, Craig" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 6 Oct, 2022 At 16:43
Subject: RE: FoI 1254-1476-3012-3514: Licensing Forum

It was suggested that any information that was held might be with either the Licensing Officer in Environment or with Cmtee Services, hence my co-ordinating a response.

I was advised that the report will be available after the next Council meeting but the relevant officers are on A/L leave this week. Leave it with me and I’ll check up on that and get back to you.

Craig

To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Cc: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Sunday, 9 Oct, 2022 At 11:48
Subject: REQUEST FOR FREEDOM OF INFORMATION(FOI) REVIEW - 1254-1476-3012-3514 - East Renfrewshire Licensing Forum

Chief Officer (Legal and Procurement)Council Headquarters
Rouken Glen Road
Giffnock
G46 6UG

REQUEST FOR FREEDOM OF INFORMATION(FOI) REVIEW

I wish to request FOI review for the FOI request made 8/9/2022

'Freedom of Information(FOI) Request - 1254-1476-3012-3514 - East Renfrewshire Licensing Forum'

attached to end of this email.

Gerry Mahon, The Chief Officer Legal & Procurement, East Renfrewshire Council, has previously stated that FoI is normally a 2 stage process -

'As you will be aware the Council's response to an FOI request does not merely revolve around the initial request but also the review process. It is hoped that any human error in relation to the 1st part of the process is properly remedied at the 2nd stage.'

and The Scottish Information Commissioner has written -

'The duty to advise and assist

Under FOI law, authorities have a duty to advise and assist people who want to access their information. The duty to advise and assist makes sure that customer service and customer engagement are central to FOI practice.

Taking a positive and proactive approach to the duty to advise and assist will strengthen relations with service users and help build trust. Offering help, support and guidance to people looking for information will also reduce the likelihood of more FOI requests.
Legal requirement
The FOI Act requires authorities to provide reasonable advice and assistance to people who have made, or are planning to make, a request for information (section 15).
The EIRs contain a similar provision for requests for environmental information (regulation 9).
Both the FOI Act and the EIRs say that authorities which comply with the Scottish Ministers' FOI Code of Practice when providing advice and assistance are complying with the duty under FOI law.'

My reasons for requesting FOI Review are as follows -

It is not credible that after all this work there is NOT one item of recorded information and not one item of correspondence/emails/letters etc regarding the requested information.

It does not seem credible that the Licensing Standards Officer/Chair of Licensing Forum does not keep one item of recorded information.

I disagree with the S27 exemption being used.

1. Contact with East Renfrewshire Council about the Forum meeting in Council Buildings again. NO RECORDED INFORMATION

On 6 August 2021 the ERC Licensing standards Officer (Chair of Licensing Forum) wrote -

'I have made requests to East Renfrewshire Council about the Forum meeting in Council Buildings again.'

How were these requests made? Who received these requests? Why is there no recorded information regarding these requests for use of Council Buildings for meetings?

2. Membership review conducted by Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) as currently appear not to have enough members to obtain a quorum. NO RECORDED INFORMATION

On 12 November 2021 the ERC Licensing standards Officer (Chair of Licensing Forum) wrote -

'I am also conducting a membership review as currently we appear not to have enough members to obtain a quorum.'

Surely the purpose of this review was to produce recorded information?

How was this review conducted? Who with? Why is there no recorded information regarding this review?

3. Engagement with Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) and East Renfrewshire Council to assist in recruiting new members. NO RECORDED INFORMATION

On 12 November 2021 the ERC Licensing standards Officer (Chair of Licensing Forum) wrote -

'I am also conducting a membership review as currently we appear not to have enough members to obtain a quorum.

With this in mind I am engaging with East Renfrewshire Council to assist in recruiting new members to allow us to obtain quorum. Currently resources are limited......
With this in mind and the current level of resources being offered we would aim to conclude our membership recruitment by May 2022 and look to have a meeting in June 2022.'

and on 17 June 2022 wrote

'Currently we have not received the list of new Licensing Board Members from the Council.'

How was this engagement with ERC conducted? Who with? Why is there no recorded information regarding this engagement with ERC?

Why is there no recorded information regarding recruiting new members?

How was this membership recruitment conducted? Who with? Why is there no recorded information regarding this recruitment?

It would appear that ERC were expected to produce a Licensing Board New Members list. How was the production of this list conducted? Who with?

Why is there no recorded information regarding this list? The list itself?

It is hard to belive that after all this work there is NOT one item of recorded information.

The Licensing Standards Officer/Chair of Licensing Forum does not keep any records?

4. It is hard to belive that after all this work there is NOT one item of correspondence/emails/letters etc regarding the above.

- to/from/between Council Officials NO RECORDED INFORMATION

- to/from/between Council Officials and Dominic McMahon (Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer) and any others. NO RECORDED INFORMATION

The Licensing Standards Officer/Chair of Licensing Forum did not contact anyone in compiling and in connection with the report?

How do you make a request without contacting someone?

How do you conduct a membership review without contacting prospective members/ERC/others etc?

How do you engage with ERC without contacting them?

How do ERC engage with Licensing Forum/Licensing Standards Officer without contacting them?

How can recruitment of new members be undertaken without contacting anyone?

How can ERC produce a Licensing Board New Members list without contacting those on the list and contacting Licensing Standards Officer/Chair of Licensing Forum?

5. I disagree with the use of S27 and ERC interpretation of the Public Interest test to withhold report.

'Under S27 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2004 it is therefore exempt from disclosure at this time as it is intended for future publication. This exemption is subject to the public interest test. While there is a significant general public interest in openness, this has to be balanced against allowing policy and process to be properly considered through the appropriate democratic process and on balance I feel that the public interest is best served by allowing this mechanism to run its course and therefore for the exemption to be applied.'

At time of writing there is no confirmation of date for this report being published.

This report was prepared/completed and available for publication in June 2022(5 months ago).

There was opportunity to publish report at Council Meeting held 7 September 2022.

The last East Renfrewshire Local Licensing Forum meeting was held Tuesday 11 December 2018.

It would appear that the Forum have failed to meet since this meeting.

Licensing Standards Officer/Chair of Licensing Forum and ERC are aware of several requests for this report/information.

There is Public interest in the fact that this Forum has failed to meet in 4 years.

And the Public are being kept in the dark over the work of this Forum.

In fact, there are no minutes/agendas/papers etc available on Council website for any Forum Meeting and the current information is wrong.

www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/licensing-forum

(Last modified on 23 July 2020)

The report should not be withheld as ERC have had ample opportunity to publish report and the public interest is best served by publication.

Your help in providing the requested information will be appreciated.

Electronic copies are acceptable.

Thanks
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds