TOPIC: East Renfrewshire Tory leader resigns

East Renfrewshire Tory leader resigns 3 years, 6 months ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published The Extra On Line -

16/9/2020

News Politics

East Renfrewshire Tory leader resigns

The leader of East Renfrewshire Conservatives says he has quit the party after losing the trust of “unelected officials” in Edinburgh.

By Drew Sandelands, Local Democracy Reporter

Wednesday, 16th September 2020, 7:28 am

Stewart Miller will now serve as an independent councillor on East Renfrewshire Council.

He was investigated by the Scottish Conservatives earlier this year after complaints over a post he shared on Facebook, which had sparked accusations of transphobia.

But Cllr Miller, who has been a Conservative representative since 2007, said his decision to resign from the party has nothing to do with the investigation.

He believes he has “lost the trust of the unelected party officials in Edinburgh who I thought were there to support elected party members”.

“I will continue to help and support the Ward 4 (Clarkston, Netherlee and Williamwood) constituents as I have always done, as an independent councillor, just as my father did for almost 20 years,” Cllr Miller said.

“Nor is it just Conservative voters whom I will represent but every member of my local community, regardless race, religion, colour, -_-ual orientation or indeed, political affiliation.”

Back in May, the Scottish Conservatives revealed the party’s disciplinary committee was investigating Cllr Miller.

The councillor had shared an image of environmental activist Greta Thunberg, with a caption stating her generation could not decide “whether you’re a boy, or girl or ‘other’”.

LGBT charity Stonewall Scotland said jokes about trans people’s identities are “hurtful” and Cllr Miller apologised, saying it was “never my intention to cause upset to any individuals”.

He had initially said the post “far from being transphobic was actually politically correct inasmuch as it stated that some people thought of themselves as male or female, but others thought of themselves differently”.

A Scottish Conservatives spokesman said the party would not be commenting on the matter at this time.

The photo of Ms Thunberg had been captioned: “My generation will start a revolution.”

Below the image, another caption stated: “Your generation can’t work 40 hours in a week, can’t decide whether you’re a boy, or girl or ‘other’ or can’t eat meat without crying.”

Cllr Miller, who is a farmer, shared the post, adding: “Haven’t heard much fae the wee lassie fae Sweden. Perhaps my coos are not the worst things on the planet after all.”

He will continue in his role as chairman of the authority’s audit and scrutiny committee.

It is understood a constituent, who had called on Cllr Miller to resign, is planning to make a complaint to the Commissioner for Ethical Standards in Public Life about his post.

They believe his position on the audit and scrutiny committee is “untenable”.

Re: East Renfrewshire Tory leader resigns 3 years, 6 months ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published Glasgow Times On Line -

16/9/2020

News

4 hrs ago

Stewart Miller : Tory leader in East Renfrewshire quits over lack of trust

By Drew Sandelands @drewsandelands Local Democracy Reporter

THE leader of East Renfrewshire Conservatives says he has quit the party after losing the trust of “unelected officials” in Edinburgh.

Stewart Miller will now serve as an independent councillor on East Renfrewshire Council.

He was investigated by the Scottish Conservatives earlier this year after complaints over a post he shared on Facebook, which had sparked accusations of transphobia.

But Cllr Miller, who has been a Conservative representative since 2007, said his decision to resign from the party has nothing to do with the investigation.

He believes he has “lost the trust of the unelected party officials in Edinburgh who I thought were there to support elected party members”.

“I will continue to help and support the Ward 4 (Clarkston, Netherlee and Williamwood) constituents as I have always done, as an independent councillor, just as my father did for almost 20 years,” Cllr Miller said.

“Nor is it just Conservative voters whom I will represent but every member of my local community, regardless race, religion, colour, -_-ual orientation or indeed, political affiliation.”

Back in May, the Scottish Conservatives revealed the party’s disciplinary committee was investigating Cllr Miller.

The councillor had shared an image of environmental activist Greta Thunberg, with a caption stating her generation could not decide “whether you’re a boy, or girl or ‘other’”.

LGBT charity Stonewall Scotland said jokes about trans people’s identities are “hurtful” and Cllr Miller apologised, saying it was “never my intention to cause upset to any individuals”.

He had initially said the post “far from being transphobic was actually politically correct inasmuch as it stated that some people thought of themselves as male or female, but others thought of themselves differently”.

A Scottish Conservatives spokesman said the party would not be commenting on the matter at this time.

The photo of Ms Thunberg had been captioned: “My generation will start a revolution.”

Below the image, another caption stated: “Your generation can’t work 40 hours in a week, can’t decide whether you’re a boy, or girl or ‘other’ or can’t eat meat without crying.”

Cllr Miller, who is a farmer, shared the post, adding: “Haven’t heard much fae the wee lassie fae Sweden. Perhaps my coos are not the worst things on the planet after all.”

He will continue in his role as chairman of the authority’s audit and scrutiny committee.

It is understood a constituent, who had called on Cllr Miller to resign, is planning to make a complaint to the Commissioner for Ethical Standards in Public Life about his post.

They believe his position on the audit and scrutiny committee is “untenable”.

Re: East Renfrewshire Tory leader resigns 3 years, 6 months ago #3

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
RM64 wrote:

Of course he would like to remain, that post is worth another £2,000 a year to him.

The post is always held by the leader of the opposition, in order to give them oversight.

Will the current administration break with protocal to assist Stewart Millers finances.

Re: East Renfrewshire Tory leader resigns 3 years, 6 months ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published Barrhead News On Line -

17/9/2020

News

1 hr ago

Leader of East Renfrewshire Tories fires broadside as he quits party

By Drew Sandelands Local Democracy Reporter

A CONTROVERSIAL councillor who was accused of transphobia has quit as leader of East Renfrewshire’s Conservatives after claiming he has lost the trust of “unelected officials” in Edinburgh.

Stewart Miller will now serve as an Independent member on East Renfrewshire Council.

He was investigated by the Scottish Conservatives earlier this year after complaints over a post he shared on Facebook about environmental activist Greta Thunberg.

But Councillor Miller, who has been a Conservative representative since 2007, said his decision to resign from the party has nothing to do with that probe.

He believes he has “lost the trust of the unelected party officials in Edinburgh, who I thought were there to support elected party members.”

Councillor Miller said: “I will continue to help and support the ward four (Clarkston, Netherlee and Williamwood) constituents, as I have always done, as an Independent councillor, just as my father did for almost 20 years.

“Nor is it just Conservative voters whom I will represent but every member of my local community, regardless of race, religion, colour, -_-ual orientation or, indeed, political affiliation.”

Back in May, the Scottish Conservatives revealed the party’s disciplinary committee was investigating Councillor Miller after he shared an image of Ms Thunberg with a caption stating that her generation could not decide “whether you’re a boy, or girl or ‘other.’”

After LGBT charity Stonewall Scotland said jokes about trans people’s identities are “hurtful,” Councillor Miller apologised, insisting it was never his intention to cause upset.

He had initially said the post “far from being transphobic was actually politically correct in as much as it stated that some people thought of themselves as male or female, but others thought of themselves differently.”

Councillor Miller, who is a farmer, shared the post, adding: “Haven’t heard much fae the wee lassie fae Sweden. Perhaps my coos are not the worst things on the planet after all.”

He will continue in his role as chairman of East Renfrewshire’s audit and scrutiny committee.

It is understood a constituent, who had called on Councillor Miller to resign after the Facebook post about Ms Thunberg came to light, is planning to make a complaint to the Commissioner for Ethical Standards in Public Life about his conduct.

The Scottish Conservatives were contacted for comment.

Re: East Renfrewshire Tory leader resigns 3 years, 6 months ago #5

• The Insider
  • Senior Boarder
A little bird tells me that the word within the council is that Councillor Miller was asked to attend a Diversity Course by the Conservative Party and apparently refused, and that is the reason for the resignation.

Re: East Renfrewshire Tory leader resigns 3 years, 6 months ago #6

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
th_2020-09-17.jpg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds