ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Scottish Elections 2021 - Eastwood MSP ?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scottish Elections 2021 - Eastwood MSP ?

Scottish Elections 2021 - Eastwood MSP ? 3 years, 5 months ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published The Extra On Line -

5/10/2020

East Renfrewshire Councillor puts herself forward to be SNP candidate for Eastwood

East Renfrewshire councillor Caroline Bamforth is putting herself forward to be the SNP candidate for Eastwood in next year’s Holyrood elections.

By Drew Sandelands, Local Democracy Reporter
Monday, 5th October 2020, 6:23 am

East Renfrewshire councillor Caroline Bamforth

Ms Bamforth, who currently represents Newton Mearns South and Eaglesham, believes she has the “local knowledge and experience” for the role.

She said she has a “solid track record” as a councillor to prove it.

“Having lived in Eastwood with my family for 21 years, this community matters very much to me,” Ms Bamforth said.

“If you want to see what kind of MSP I would be, then look no further than my work as a local councillor.

“The job of an MSP is to serve the needs of their constituents, someone who works hard for, and champions, local communities.

“I have the local knowledge and experience, in both work and life, to represent this constituency and have a solid track record as a councillor to prove it.

“I have worked hard to build trust and relationships with local groups.”

Ms Bamforth is currently a member of East Renfrewshire Council’s cabinet and education committee as well as convener for health and social care.

As convener, she chairs meetings of East Renfrewshire’s Integration Joint Board.

“I am a non-executive director of NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde and a COSLA health and social care board member,” she added.

“While I use these roles to help defend the rights of the most vulnerable in our society, to give them a voice, it also gives me insight into the immense challenges we face.

“These roles currently involve working with the Scottish Government to influence, shape and implement public health policy.

“Health has never been a more important topic, given the current pandemic.”

Ms Bamforth believes independence is needed to achieve “a fairer, inclusive Scotland”.

“A country which works for everyone,” she said. “This is not a vision shared by Westminster.

“The time is here for Scotland to be a nation again and this aim should be front and centre of all our campaigning, especially given the added uncertainty of a Brext we didn’t vote for.

“I will combine working hard for my community, while fighting for independence for my country, so we can live in the country we desire, not one inflicted on us.”

Re: Scottish Elections 2021 - Eastwood MSP ? 3 years, 5 months ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Previously -

Cllr Annette Ireland has posted on their facebook page -

18/9/2020

Cllr Annette Ireland
15 hrs ·

Delighted to confirm that I have, this afternoon, received confirmation that I have been added to the approved list of potential SNP candidates for the upcoming Scottish Parliament elections.

I am therefore delighted to announce that I will be asking SNP members in Eastwood to select me as their candidate to go forward for the Scottish Parliament elections next year.

From the outset, I’d like to wish my fellow candidates the best of luck in the selection process and hope that we can all show the true strength and depth of those wishing to represent Eastwood.

I have lived in this constituency for many years.

This is my home, and the people here deserve a candidate with an abundance of local knowledge.

At a time when community spirit is absolutely vital we need MSP’s who understand the needs of our local area and will fight to represent them.

It would be my absolute honour to represent the people of Eastwood in our Parliament.

I will always have a passion for Independence as well as the drive and determination to work towards both a fairer Eastwood and a fairer Scotland for all.

Re: Scottish Elections 2021 - Eastwood MSP ? 3 years, 5 months ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder

News Politics

Eastwood SNP candidate can’t wait to get campaigning

A Clarkston dad is putting himself forward to be the SNP candidate for Eastwood at next year’s Holyrood election.

Thursday, 8th October 2020, 6:00 am

David Tam McDonald says his children, who attend Eastwood Primary, are the inspiration for his bid to become an MSP.

He has campaigned for both the SNP and independence in the area for many years.

“When you have children, you realise you have limited time to change things,” he said.

“I want them to grow up in a fairer, more prosperous and greener Scotland. They shouldn’t have to solve the problems caused by Brexit, climate change and austerity, those problems are for us to solve before they grow up.
ADVERTISING
Ads by Teads

“It’s clear to me that only the powers of an independent country will allow us to solve these problems and make Scotland fit for our children and grandchildren.”

Mr McDonald believes minds in Eastwood are being changed in the aftermath of the Brexit vote.

“Eastwood residents fear the results of next year’s Brexit, which almost three quarters of them rejected,” he said.

“They feel really let down by the Conservatives, who hold the seat at the moment, and who are forcing Brexit on a Scotland which didn’t vote for it.

The potential candidate works as a museum outreach officer, helping the community to learn about their heritage.

He said: “I have never been afraid to make the case for independence and EU membership to the people of Eastwood, by speaking to them at their doors or on the street.

“Eastwood hasn’t always been enthusiastic about independence, and from speaking to locals I understand why; but I’ve witnessed people change their minds and many more Eastwood voters now support independence and the SNP.

“My understanding of the hopes and fears the people here have about independence make me the ideal candidate to deliver the seat for the SNP, and build the independence movement in the constituency.

“I think Eastwood is ready: ready to ditch the Tories; ready to elect its first SNP MSP; and ready to back independence and I can’t wait to get campaigning.”

Re: Scottish Elections 2021 - Eastwood MSP ? 3 years, 5 months ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder

News Politics

Acclaimed charity founder and business leader, enters Eastwood SNP selection race

Charandeep Singh has announced his intention to seek the Eastwood SNP nomination for the Scottish Parliament election in 2021.

By Dawn Renton
Thursday, 8th October 2020, 6:00 am

If successful, Singh, 30, could make history by becoming the first Scottish-Sikh MSP at Holyrood.

He said: “Over the past 10 years, I have built a career outside of politics, working in business, education and community activism. The 2021 election is a seismic moment for Scotland, where the future direction of our nation will be charted.

An impending chaotic Brexit and the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic means the prevailing health and economic circumstances will weigh heavily on the Scottish Parliament.

I’m standing as a candidate to bring my experience, insight and leadership to Holyrood and help take Scotland forward.”

Charandeep has a range of career experience, and was appointed the youngest-ever Deputy Chief Executive at the Scottish Chambers of Commerce.

He continued: “I understand the needs of Scotland’s business community. This year, I have worked tirelessly with local and national businesses to navigate the Covid-19 crisis and prepare for Brexit.

Now more than ever, we need to prioritise economic recovery and job security - these issues matter to Eastwood residents. I will back local businesses and ensure an SNP government will deliver for them.”

Singh previously featured as a candidate on the SNP’s Glasgow List in 2016 and was instrumental in Humza Yousaf’s campaign to unseat Johann Lamont in Glasgow Pollok.

He said: “I know what it takes to gain a seat from the opposition. I will bring my campaigning, fundraising and election experience alongside the members of Eastwood SNP to run an effective, winning campaign in 2021.”

As Strathclyde Student President in 2010, he led national campaigns challenging Westminster tuition fees, promoting equal marriage in Scotland and boosting graduate employment: “Throughout my career, I have stood up for people and communities and I have been able to enact real change through direct action, policy-making and influencing decision-makers. As a young person, I can relate to Scotland’s youth and I will be a voice for them making sure that Holyrood is securing their future.”

Raised in the Southside of Glasgow, Charandeep believes he can represent Eastwood voters and their issues: “SNP members have a unique chance to gain Eastwood next year. I have deep connections to the area, and I understand the aspirations and priorities of people living here: job security, education and thriving businesses. With my real-life experience, I can build a majority coalition of voters and win their trust to back the SNP in 2021.”

With a passion for helping others, Charandeep demonstrated his community organising skills by founding The Sikh Food Bank in March 2020, in response to the coronavirus pandemic: “When I saw the Covid-19 pandemic unfold, I realised that the poorest and most vulnerable were being hit hardest by lockdown measures. With a dedicated team of volunteers, we started an organisation from scratch and delivered over 80,000 meals direct to those in need. This humbling experience has opened my eyes to the inequalities in Scotland. As a parliamentarian, I will fight to close the gap on poverty and income inequality and challenge the Tory party’s austerity agenda.”

As a committed independence campaigner, Charandeep is boldly optimistic about Scotland’s future: “I was solidly YES in 2014 and the referendum result was heart-breaking. As the polls show a shift in support, Scotland can achieve independence. However, we cannot be complacent – the next referendum campaign must appeal to a wider section of society; a strong economic vision must be at the heart of this. The Scottish Parliament also needs to represent modern Scotland. I believe I can reflect our nation’s diversity and craft a message that will resonate with those who voted No in 2014.”

Re: Scottish Elections 2021 - Eastwood MSP ? 3 years, 5 months ago #5

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published Barrhead News -

News

11th September

Kerr seeks SNP nomination to fight East Renfrewshire seat

By Norman Silvester Reporter

A FORMER SNP candidate for the European Parliament claims he can unseat East Renfrewshire MSP Jackson Carlaw in next year’s Holyrood elections.

Alex Kerr, 26, has announced his intention to seek his party’s nomination for the Eastwood Constituency in the 2021 Scottish Parliament elections.

It is one of two seats including Renfrewshire South that represents people living in the East Renfrewshire Council area.

Kerr was one of the six candidates who stood for the SNP in the 2019 European Elections with three Alyn Smith, Christian Allard and Aileen McLeod winning seats.

Eastwood is currently held by Jackson Carlaw, who was the Scottish Conservative leader until July 30 when he suddenly resigned.

Mr Kerr said: “If selected, I believe I could be the first SNP MSP for Eastwood.

“I’m looking forward to making my case for nomination to the SNP members living in Eastwood Constituency over the coming weeks.”

For the last five years Kerr has worked as an MSP’s researcher and communications officer at the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh.

Eastwood covers areas like Clarkston and Newton Mearns while Renfrewshire South represents Barrhead and Neilston.

In Eastwood, the SNP need to overturn a majority of 1,610 which Jackson Carlaw won from Labour in 2016.

In the 2019 General Election the SNP’s Kirsten Oswald MP unseated Conservative Paul Masterton with a 5,426 majority.

Re: Scottish Elections 2021 - Eastwood MSP ? 3 years, 5 months ago #6

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder

News Politics

East Renfrewshire councillor wants to take Eastwood from Tory Jackson Carlaw

East Renfrewshire councillor Annette Ireland has entered the race to become Eastwood’s MSP at the Holyrood elections next year.

Friday, 16th October 2020, 6:54 am

The Clarkston, Busby, Netherlee, Stamperland and Williamwood representative has announced her intention to run for selection as the SNP’s candidate.

She wants to take Eastwood from Tory incumbent Jackson Carlaw at the May election.

Cllr Ireland said: “The people of Eastwood have been badly let down by Conservative policies.

“We are careering towards a damaging No Deal coupled with a disastrous Internal Market Bill clawing back powers from Scotland.

“The Conservatives are destroying our local economy, our jobs and are pushing countless people into poverty.”

She said representing the area would be an “absolute honour” and believes she can “win here for the SNP”.

The councillor, who has two sons at Williamwood High School, has worked in a range of jobs, including local newspapers, commercial property and for the editorial team of the official journal of the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies.

She also graduated from the University of Glasgow with a Masters in Scottish Literature and Scots Language and then became the first female SNP councillor for her local area.

“Eastwood is my family home,” she said. “It is a wonderful place to live and work in, it has a fantastic community with a diversity in wealth and circumstance and has its own unique challenges which, as a local councillor, I work with every single day.

“I believe that Eastwood needs a voice that will speak for everyone, no matter who you are or where you come from.”

She added: “During this Covid crisis, I have seen my community come together to help the vulnerable.

“It has been my absolute privilege to have volunteered with local community groups including Voluntary Action East Renfrewshire, Cosgrove Care and Include Me 2 Club.”

Jackson Carlaw, the former leader of the Scottish Conservatives, won Eastwood in 2016.

Cllr Ireland said: “I firmly believe I have the determination, ability, track record, strength of character and experience to win in this upcoming election.

“I am proud of my work with local residents, businesses and community groups. I have campaigned extensively for the SNP.

“I am asking local SNP members to not only vote for me but also to campaign with me as I fight to win against the Conservatives.

“The next parliament is a crucial one, an incredibly important one for Scotland, and could very well be the parliament which takes us towards independence.”
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds