Clarkston station master’s house saved
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Clarkston station master’s house saved

Clarkston station master’s house saved 3 years, 5 months ago #1

• Ernhw Ltd
  • ernhw Ltd
Courtesy The Extra

Demolition plans for the former station master’s house in Clarkston have been rejected by East Renfrewshire Council.

By Drew Sandelands, Local Democracy Reporter
Wednesday, 7th October 2020, 5:57 am

Planning officers had recommended the proposal, which would have seen four shops built on the Busby Road site, could be approved as the building is not listed.

But most councillors on the planning committee were in favour of refusing the application.

More than 20 nearby residents had objected to the development, with 10 letters of support for the plans.

An economic assessment submitted with Sabah Hassan’s application stated 10 to 20 new jobs could be created by the proposed development.

But Councillor Stewart Miller said there had been “really detailed” opposition to the plans, which countered every argument put forward by the developer.

“The station master’s son was in my class in primary one so I’ve known this house for a long, long time,” he said.

“To build four shops on this site is an obvious overdevelopment as many of the objectors have pointed out.

“There is no economic need and there is no economic argument.”

Mr Miller, quoting the objectors, said the plans would have knocked down built heritage and there would be no job opportunities if the shops lie empty.

Councillor Betty Cunningham raised concerns about traffic and parking in the area if the development went ahead.

However, East Renfrewshire’s Provost, Jim Fletcher, said: “There’s absolutely nothing in planning terms to stop this going through. People are suggesting there maybe should be roads objections, there aren’t.

“It’s in line with the local plan. I think on balance I’d probably be supportive.”

He added: “We’re heading for a dreadful economic crisis in the UK, there’s already criticism for UK Government, for the Scottish Government and local government for not doing enough to prepare for the avalanche of unemployment that’s going to hit us.

“They’re creating potential job opportunities that might be here for quite a bit in the future.

“I think you have to be positive and say after the pandemic these shop units can be used productively.”

Mr Miller said he agreed with a lot of what Mr Fletcher had said but, due to current empty shop units in Clarkston, there is “plenty of scope for new business to come in”.

Council officers had said the application complied with the East Renfrewshire Local Development Plan and “therefore should be approved unless material considerations indicate otherwise”.

They had also revealed the council had “limited control” over the demolition as the house is not a listed building.

Re: Clarkston station master’s house saved 3 years, 5 months ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Not quite saved yet?

Presumably the Applicant can appeal the Planning Committee decision?

If an appeal is submitted -

After taking all the evidence into account, the reporter will either:

- support the original decision

- overturn the decision

Re: Clarkston station master’s house saved 3 years, 3 months ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllr Annette Ireland has posted on their facebook page -

Cllr Annette Ireland
4 December at 07:41 ·

❗️Clarkston - Planning Reporter Decision ❗️

I am very pleased that the Scottish Planning Reporter has agreed with our decision, as a Planning Committee, to refuse this application. They agreed that it did not meet Policies SG7 and D1 of planning policy.

The Reporter states that " I am unable to conclude that the proposal would result in positive community benefits. As indicated previously, I also consider that the design of the proposal would detract from the quality of the built environment."

"Whilst the proposal would provide shops in an accessible location, it is of poor design quality and would result in the loss of a building which is of historic interest to local people.

I consider overall that the adverse impacts of the proposal would outweigh the benefits and conclude that the proposal would not contribute to sustainable development."

www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDetails.aspx?ID=121219

Re: Clarkston station master’s house saved 3 years, 3 months ago #4

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
Well done Annette.

How many of your other decisions (PAC) has the Reporter overturned?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds