TOPIC: Cllr Paul O'Kane Launches bid to be Regional Labour MSP

Cllr Paul O'Kane Launches bid to be Regional Labour MSP 3 months ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published The Extra On Line -

27/11/2020

News Politics

Paul O’Kane calls for change as he launches West Scotland bid
Deputy Leader of East Renfrewshire Council and Convener for Education and Equalities, Paul O’Kane has announced that he is running to be a regional MSP for West Scotland.

By Dawn Renton
Friday, 27th November 2020, 7:54 am

Scottish Labour opened the process to choose their regional list candidates on November 18.

The local Labour man was selected last year to contest the Renfrewshire South constituency for Labour and has served on East Renfrewshire Council since 2012.

Paul announced his candidacy via a short film on Social Media and spoke about his values growing up locally which motivated him to get involved in politics.

He said: “I was brought up with the idea that you’re as good as anyone but better than no one.

The values of standing up for what is right; of solidarity with others; and never passing by on the other side when someone needs help were instilled in me from an early age.

“At school I had great teachers who told me that change is always possible and to never just simply accept things the way they are.

But today in our communities, too many young people are being left behind and too many people are just getting by, not getting on.

That makes me angry.

I am standing to be an MSP to serve hard working people across West Scotland and to help change our communities for the better.”

Speaking about his recent experiences of the COVID-19 pandemic Paul added: I have seen the best of people these past months – people going over and above to support others, no matter what.

This has inspired me and it is clear we need to build back better.

People are crying out for change and we need to make that happen as we recover from this unprecedented and difficult time.”

Paul believes that Labour needs change in order to do this; that the Party must work hard to win back trust to help change communities across the region.

Paul said: “We have failed to listen to what people have been telling us and because of this we have stagnated.

We need to be better and we need to change.

“I am committed to getting Scottish Labour back on track by challenging the SNP and the Tories on their record whilst offering an alternative Labour vision.

“But I also want to transform our Party and help us to win again - ensuring that people see Scottish Labour active in their towns and villages; not just in the Holyrood Chamber.

“This election will be the fight of our lives; the fight for our future.

“I will be the change West Scotland needs - a new voice for a new decade. Changing our Party to change our communities.”

The Scottish Labour Party process will conclude in the new year with Party members across West Scotland voting to choose the candidates by an electronic and postal ballot.

The Regional List vote is one of the two votes people have in the Scottish Parliament election scheduled for 6th May 2021.

Seven MSPs are elected via the Regional List on a proportional basis.

Re: Cllr Paul O'Kane Launches bid to be Regional Labour MSP 3 months ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
To: paul.o' This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Friday, 27 Nov, 2020 At 15:13
Subject: Announcement that you are running to be a regional MSP

Hi Paul

I refer to article Published The Extra On Line 27/11/2020

- Deputy Leader of East Renfrewshire Council and Convener for Education and Equalities, Paul O’Kane has announced that he is running to be a regional MSP for West Scotland.

I am not a member of any political party or group or any other organisation, but a voter with no particular political party allegiance who you have to persuade to vote for the Labour Party.

You say -

'“I am committed to getting Scottish Labour back on track by challenging the SNP and the Tories on their record whilst offering an alternative Labour vision.'

Challenging the SNP?

Is this not hypocritical?

You and the Labour Party prop up and support the SNP in East Renfrewshire Council.

You support and administer SNP policies.

I do not see any evidence of you challenging the SNP.

I do not see any evidence of you challenging the SNP at any Full Council or Council Committee meetings.

On the contrary you and the Labour Party back and support the SNP and do not challenge the SNP or their policies.

Within East Renfrewshire you and the Labour Party talk down any opposition parties objections to the SNP and their policies.

You also say -

'“But I also want to transform our Party and help us to win again - ensuring that people see Scottish Labour active in their towns and villages;'

But all people see is that you and the Labour Party are only active in propping up and supporting the SNP and their policies.

However, you are right in this instance -

You have failed to listen to what people have been telling you.

You make a lot of statements but with no substance to back them up.

- 'I am standing to be an MSP to serve hard working people across West Scotland and to help change our communities for the better.”'

How will you help change our communities for the better?

- 'This has inspired me and it is clear we need to build back better. '

How will you build back better?

- 'People are crying out for change and we need to make that happen as we recover from this unprecedented and difficult time.”'

How will you make this change happen?

- 'Paul believes that Labour needs change in order to do this; that the Party must work hard to win back trust to help change communities across the region. '

How will you and the Party win back trust?

- 'Paul said: “We have failed to listen to what people have been telling us and because of this we have stagnated. '

How will you listen to what people have been telling you?

- 'We need to be better and we need to change. '

How?

- “I am committed to getting Scottish Labour back on track by challenging the SNP and the Tories on their record whilst offering an alternative Labour vision.

How will you challenge the SNP and Tories?

What alternative Labour vision are you offering?

- “But I also want to transform our Party and help us to win again - ensuring that people see Scottish Labour active in their towns and villages; not just in the Holyrood Chamber.

How will you transform the Party?

How will you ensure that people see Scottish Labour active in their towns and villages?

'- "I will be the change West Scotland needs - a new voice for a new decade. Changing our Party to change our communities.”'

How will you be the change West Scotland needs?

What new voice?

How will you change the Party to change communities?

A last thought.......As there is no mention of Richard Leonard is this the first steps in your bid for leadership of the Party?

- '“But I also want to transform our Party and help us to win again - ensuring that people see Scottish Labour active in their towns and villages; not just in the Holyrood Chamber.'

- '“I will be the change West Scotland needs - a new voice for a new decade. Changing our Party to change our communities.”'

As said, I am not a member of any political party or group or any other organisation, but a voter with no particular political party allegiance who you have to persuade to vote for the Labour Party.

I hope this is helpful, that you will listen, and would appreciate if you can give the requested information.

Thanks

Re: Cllr Paul O'Kane Launches bid to be Regional Labour MSP 1 month, 2 weeks ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
The Councillor has not replied.

However a campaign event to become Labour Party MSP nomination for West Scotland has been launched.

I am not a member of any political party or group or any other organisation, but a voter with no particular political party allegiance.

I will not be voting in any Labour or other Party events to nominate MSPs.

I have no interest on who the Labour Party or other parties pick
(until they stand for election and want my vote).

My only interest in this is the hypocrisy shown by the Labour Party in propping up and supporting the SNP in East Renfrewshire Council while saying 'We need strong voices to hold SNP and Tories to account' -

The Labour Party prop up and support the SNP in East Renfrewshire Council.

The Labour Party support and administer SNP policies.

There is no evidence of the Labour Party challenging the SNP.

There is no evidence of the Labour Party challenging the SNP at any Full Council or Council Committee meetings.

On the contrary the Labour Party back and support the SNP and do not challenge the SNP or their policies.

Within East Renfrewshire the Labour Party talk down any opposition parties objections to the SNP and their policies.

Again it is interesting that there is frequent mention of Sir Keir Starmer and his policies

But not one mention of the Scottish Labour Party Leader Richard Leonard and their policies !!

You can view here -

Councillor Paul O’Kane was live.
21 December 2020 at 11:01 ·

Watch Paul as he launches his campaign for West Scotland.

www.facebook.com/paulokanelabour/?ref=py_c

www.facebook.com/paulokanelabour/videos/191283165978891/

Re: Cllr Paul O'Kane Launches bid to be Regional Labour MSP 1 month, 1 week ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Surprise Surprise !!!!

14/1/2021
Published the National On Line -

News

16 mins ago

Richard Leonard quits as Scottish Labour leader after three years in role

By Laura Webster @LauraEWebsterr Digital Audience and Content Editor

RICHARD Leonard has quit as Scottish Labour leader after three years in the role.

According to the Daily Record, the MSP said: “I have come to the conclusion it is in the best interests of the party that I step aside as leader of Scottish Labour with immediate effect.

“This was not an easy decision, but after three years I feel it is the right one for me and for the party."

The news comes after the latest Savanta ComRes poll, carried out for the Scotsman, showed Labour could move ahead into second place in Holyrood as Tory support slips.

Labour looked set to gain 18% in the constituency and list vote.

In an article, the MSP wrote that "both governments have mishandled its response" to the Covid-19 crisis, calling for 24/7 vaccine roll-out to protect the population as quickly as possible.

However, he added: "I have thought long and hard over the Christmas period about what this crisis means, and the approach Scottish Labour takes to help tackle it.

"I have also considered what the speculation about my leadership does to our ability to get Labour’s message across. This has become a distraction."

He went on: "I want to thank all those people who placed their hopes in me, and who worked with me in good times and bad. This experience and the great people I have met will live with me forever.

"I owe a huge debt in particular to all those party members who work tirelessly for the cause of Labour."
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds