ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Residents in a spin over tailbacks in Giffnock caused by controversial cycle lanes
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Residents in a spin over tailbacks in Giffnock caused by controversial cycle lanes

Residents in a spin over tailbacks in Giffnock caused by controversial cycle lanes 3 years, 2 months ago #1

• Ernhw Ltd
  • ernhw Ltd
Courtesy Barrhead News
By Norman Silvester
Reporter

MORE than 100 people took part in an online meeting to discuss controversial cycle lanes being introduced by East Renfrewshire Council.

The event was sparked by new lanes on either side of Fenwick Road, in Giffnock, which critics say have created long tailbacks for motorists and decimated takings at local businesses as customers can’t get parked.

However, the initiative has been popular with cyclists, walkers and joggers.
Eastwood MSP Jackson Carlaw is to meet with council bosses to discuss the concerns raised by residents.

He told the Barrhead News: “The high attendance at the online public meeting demonstrates the level of interest there is on this issue.

“I am not opposed to cycle lanes and, in my view, much greater action actually needs to be taken to introduce more spaces where people are able to enjoy active travel in parts of the constituency.

“On the specific scheme put in place at Fenwick Road, legitimate concerns have been raised and there are real issues with how this has been implemented.

“I have an upcoming meeting arranged with East Renfrewshire Council’s chief executive and one of the major topics for discussion will be the Fenwick Road cycling lanes.

“Amongst the key issues that I will be seeking to raise with the chief executive are the placement of the bollards, parking considerations for local businesses and the width of the cycle lanes.”

Mr Carlaw said he has been give assurances by council bosses that the cycle lane will not go any further into Giffnock.

He added that everyone who took part in last week’s meeting will be told of the outcome of his discussions with the chief executive.

Giffnock resident Michael Tobias, 64, is a supporter of cycle lanes but thinks this project hasn’t been thought through properly.

He said: “The local reaction has been mixed. My main complaint is that the lanes make Fenwick Road look untidy. You feel you are part of continuous roadworks.

“People are having to take detours just to get into their own street.

“There are also going to be tailbacks because there is only one lane in each direction. This in turn could create problems for ambulances and fire engines getting up and down Fenwick Road in an emergency.”

East Renfrewshire Council said the cycle lanes – funded through a grant from the Scottish Government – make it easier for people to exercise during the Covid-19 pandemic while socially distancing.

A spokeswoman added: “A public consultation took place and residents were able to tell us how they wanted us to spend this funding, which resulted in the new cycle route on Fenwick Road.

“These measures have been installed on an initial temporary basis and will be continually reviewed.”
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds