ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ?

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 10 months ago #13

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Phase 3 (medium term) measures:
• Phase 3 measures will be determined following review of community and stakeholder engagement, as well as assessment of existing response
measures in July 2020 or later. This will take into account government guidance at this time.

• Phase 3 will consider elements such as ‘Low Traffic Neighbourhoods’ and ‘School Streets/Safer Routes to School’ in order to deliver a more strategic
approach to response measures.

• The Roads and Transportation Service will work in partnership with East Renfrewshire Council Communities Service to assess community transport
and delivery requirements and scope for improvement in line with the ‘Support Vulnerable People’ principle.

• The Roads and Transportation Service will work in partnership with East Renfrewshire Council Town Centre and Economic Regeneration Services to
align Transport Response with the local Economic Recovery Plan in line with the ‘Support the Local Economy’ principle.

Phase 4 (long term) measures:
• Appraisal of response measures and assessment of permanent reallocation of road space

• East Renfrewshire Council will apply for funding to progress development of a refreshed Local Transport Strategy. This will include a public
consultation on strategic transport objectives and supporting plans and policies for the area.

• East Renfrewshire Council will continue to pursue development of ‘Better Points’ behaviour change initiative to support sustainable travel and local
economic recovery.

+++++++++++++++
End
++++++++++++++++

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 10 months ago #14

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published The extra On Line -

News Environment

By Kevin McRoberts
Friday, 29th May 2020, 1:14 pm

Council to create safe ‘Space for People’ in East Renfrewshire
East Renfrewshire Council has secured £100,000 of initial funding for measures across the area that will make it safer for residents to walk, cycle and wheel for essential journeys and exercise during COVID-19.

Funded by the Scottish Government and administered by Sustrans, Spaces for People will help people practice safe physical distancing with ‘pop-up’ walking and cycling routes and other temporary response measures.

Those who live, work and visit East Renfrewshire will also be able to give their views on issues and where they think the greatest need is required to enable residents to safely walk, cycle and wheel for essential journeys or exercise and avoid unnecessary journeys by car.

In partnership with Sustrans, the public can have their say on Commonplace, an online community consultation platform, where they can help to identify locations that may need measures to help people get about safely during COVID-19.

The Council will also use the platform to share information about proposed temporary measures planned in the area and to receive feedback as plans progress.

Environment Convener, Councillor Alan Lafferty, said: “This challenging time we are all experiencing makes us thankful for the great parks and public spaces we have here in East Renfrewshire, but as we see more people take to our streets and leave the car at home, it has highlighted areas where improved space for social distancing is needed.

“The feedback gathered will help protect public health, support physical distancing, and mitigate a possible second wave of the outbreak. I would encourage anyone who can, to let us know what they think and help our team put in place effective measures.”

Karen McGregor, Director of Sustrans Scotland, said: “It’s clear that people across Scotland want to do the right thing during Coronavirus. They want to look after their physical and mental health.

“They also want to make sure that they are keeping to physical distancing guidelines while still being safe on our streets.

“Providing funding support to East Renfrewshire Council through our Spaces for People programme will make it easier and safer for people to travel for essential travel and exercise.”

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 10 months ago #15

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sustrans Website -

Published: 26th MAY 2020
Sustrans Scotland welcomes increase in funding to Spaces for People programme

Scottish government have announced a further £20milllion in funding for Sustrans' Spaces for People fund to make it easier and safer for people who walk, cycle and wheel for essential travel and exercise during covid-19.

The additional funding means there is now a total of £30million of Spaces for People funding available to support local authorities and statutory bodies to provide safe walking and cycling infrastructure as the country transitions out of lockdown.

Sustrans Deputy CEO John Lauder, who is based in Edinburgh, said: “We are encouraged to see walking, cycling and wheeling being central to the government’s plan to enable people to travel safely during Covid-19.

“We have been delighted with the response to our Spaces for People fund so far.

"Over the past three weeks we have researched and launched the programme and had 26 local authorities register their interest. In the last week we have awarded funding to 9 partners, totalling £12million - a really speedy response to a new funding stream.

"Local Authorities are to be commended for their speed of reaction in taking up the opportunity for new funding.

“This additional funding will allow all local authorities and statutory bodies who want to to apply and secure funding to help provide a positive and lasting change in our walking, cycling and wheeling habits as we transition out of lockdown.

"And we encourage the public to contact their local authority where they can see the need for wider pavements and safer roads and streets for cycling and wheeling.”

+++++++++++

You can find further info here -

www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/projects/20...places-for-everyone/

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 9 months ago #16

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published Barrhead News On Line -

4/6/2020

News

1 hr ago

By Pippa Smith Reporter

£100,000 windfall paves way for pop-up walking and cycling routes in East Renfrewshire

EAST Renfrewshire has been handed a £100,000 windfall to make it safer for residents to make journeys by foot or bicycle during the coronavirus crisis.

The cash is being made available through the Spaces for People initiative, funded by the Scottish Government and administered by cycling charity Sustrans.

It will help people observe social distancing guidelines while Covid-19 remains a threat to health by creating ‘pop-up’ walking and cycling routes and other temporary measures.

Those who live or work in East Renfrewshire will be able to give their views on the areas with the greatest need for new measures to enable people to be able to safely walk or cycle for essential journeys or exercise, rather than using their car or public transport.

This will be done through an online community consultation platform called Commonplace.

East Renfrewshire Council will also use the online platform to share information about proposed temporary measures being planned for the area and to receive feedback as these proposals progress.

Councillor Alan Lafferty, East Renfrewshire’s environment convener, told the Barrhead News: “This challenging time we are all experiencing makes us thankful for the great parks and public spaces we have here but, as we see more people take to our streets and leave the car at home, it has highlighted areas where improved space for social distancing is needed.

“The feedback gathered will help protect public health, support physical distancing and mitigate a possible second wave of the outbreak.

“I would encourage anyone who can to let us know what they think and help our team put in place effective measures.”

Karen McGregor, director of Sustrans Scotland, added: “It’s clear that people across East Renfrewshire want to do the right thing during coronavirus. They want to look after their physical and mental health.

“They also want to make sure they are keeping to physical distancing guidelines while still being safe on our streets.

“Providing funding support to East Renfrewshire Council through our Spaces for People programme will make it easier and safer for people to travel for essential journeys and exercise.”

To have your say on where walking and cycling routes are needed in East Renfrewshire, visit here.

erspacesforpeoplemap.commonplace.is/

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 7 months ago #17

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllr David MacDonald has posted on his facebook page -

Cllr David Macdonald - An Independent voice for people
12 August at 14:42 ·

I have just written to the Director of Environment at the council, Andy Cahill about the pace of implementation of safe cycling routes and bike hire schemes in East Renfrewshire.

------
Dear Andy,

As you will be well aware our neighbour to the north, Glasgow has embarked on the installation of a very ambitious cycling lane project along major arterial roads into the city.

This link will familiarise you with the routes.

glasgow.gov.uk/article/18296/Commute-by-bike

What are East Renfrewshire doing on our side to join up with these routes?

Have we any plans to implement joined up routes to ones serving the south side of Glasgow?

Through my ward I would like to see dedicated and separate routes for safe cycling down Eaglesham Rd, along East Kilbride Rd, Busby Rd and Eastwoodmains Rd and down Mearns Rd continuing down Clarkston Rd to the border of Glasgow.

There have been many people who have come to me in recent weeks to voice their disappointment that East Renfrewshire has a distinct lack of safer dedicated and separated lanes for cyclists compared to Glasgow.

On top of that I would like to see Nextbike, bike hire service be welcomed into East Renfrewshire to extend their greater Glasgow network of locations.

I would welcome the opportunity to work with you and the Green Network Project officer on this. Let me know what is involved to try to bring this about.

Kind regards,

David.

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 7 months ago #18

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
To: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 14 Aug, 2020 At 11:26
Subject: RE: ERC and new £10million Spaces for People fund - important please reply

Hi Annette

As usual I will do you the courtesy of reading your privacy statement.

It seems absurd that I should have to consider submitting  a FOI application when my elected Councillor has committed to sharing this information.

But, it appears that is the only option available as you have not replied.

Again, would appreciate the courtesy of a response.

You  committed to giving an update -
I have contacted our Environmental Department and understand that an update on the Active Travel measures is due this week.  As soon  as I have this information I will, of course, share this out.

Would appreciate courtesy of reply.

Is the update/progress  on the Active Travel measures now available including update on timescale  on  the Traffic cones in place along the road beside Williamwood Golf course.

Would appreciate the courtesy of a reply with requested update/info.

Thanks

To: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Monday, 10 Aug, 2020 At 12:00
Subject: RE: ERC and new £10million Spaces for People fund

Hi Annette

I will do you the courtesy of reading your privacy statement.

You  committed to giving an update -
I have contacted our Environmental Department and understand that an update on the Active Travel measures is due this week.  As soon  as I have this information I will, of course, share this out.

Is the update/progress  on the Active Travel measures now available including update on timescale  on  the Traffic cones in place along the road beside Williamwood Golf course.

Thanks

Sent: Wednesday, 15 Jul, 2020 At 14:11

Hi Annette

Again I have done you the courtesy of reading your privacy statement.

Thanks

Sent: Tuesday, 7 Jul, 2020 At 16:36

Hi Annette

Again I have done you the courtesy of reading your privacy statement.

Thanks

Sent: Friday, 3 Jul, 2020 At 08:05

Hi Annette

Is the update (mentioned below) on the Active Travel measures now available?

Thanks

Sent: Friday, 26 Jun, 2020 At 12:14

Hi Annette

Is the update (mentioned below) on the Active Travel measures now available?

Thanks

From: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 16 Jun, 2020 At 13:10

Afternoon

Regards
Cllr Annette Ireland (SNP)
Ward No. 4 Clarkston, Netherlee & Williamwood
East Renfrewshire Council Headquarters,
Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road, Giffnock G46 6UG

Sent: 15 June 2020 14:25
To: Ireland, A (Cllr) < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >

Hi Annette

Would appreciate if you can give an update on progress on what has been implemented.
- Phase 1 (priority) measures: timescales - end of May 2020
- Phase 2 (near term) measures: timescales - end June 2020

Thanks

From: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 19 May, 2020 At 13:08

Good Afternoon

Further to your email regarding the Scottish Government’s £10 Million fund, I would confirm that East  Renfrewshire Council has registered interest in the initiative and is assessing measures across the authority to help residents socially distance safely while undertaking essential trips and exercise.

As soon as I have further information on what measures will be implemented then I will be, of course,  be sharing this with local residents.

In the meantime, if you have any specific physical distancing concerns or issues that you feel require  immediate attention can you please let me know and I will pass this onto the Environment Department.

Regards
Cllr Annette Ireland (SNP)
Ward No. 4 Clarkston, Netherlee & Williamwood
East Renfrewshire Council Headquarters,
Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road, Giffnock G46 6UG
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds