ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Planning Applications Committee Meeting(Virtual) - Wednesday, 29 September 2021 at 2.00pm.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planning Applications Committee Meeting(Virtual) - Wednesday, 29 September 2021 at 2.00pm.

Planning Applications Committee Meeting(Virtual) - Wednesday, 29 September 2021 at 2.00pm. 2 months ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Corporate and Community Services Department
Council Headquarters, Eastwood Park, Giffnock, East Renfrewshire, G46 6UG
Phone: 0141 577 3000
Date: 23 September 2021
When calling please ask for: Sharon McIntyre (Tel No. 0141 577 3011)
e-mail:- This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

TO: Councillors A Ireland (Chair), B Cunningham (Vice Chair), A Convery, J Fletcher,J McLean, S Miller and J Swift.

PLANNING APPLICATIONS COMMITTEE
A meeting of the Planning Applications Committee will be held on

Wednesday, 29 September 2021 at 2.00pm.

The agenda of business is as shown below.

Please note this is a virtual meeting.

Caroline Innes
C INNES
DEPUTY CHIEF EXECUTIVE

1. Report apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest.

3. Applications for planning permission for consideration by the committee - Report by Director of Environment (copy attached, pages 3 - 36).

You can view all details from Council Website here -

www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/planning-app...ons-committee-290921

You can also read the Weekly list of registered planning applications here -

www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/search-planning-applications

Re: Planning Applications Committee Meeting(Virtual) - Wednesday, 29 September 2021 at 2.00pm. 2 months ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
You can view meeting recording from Council website here -

www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/planning-app...ons-committee-290921

Meeting Recording

The recording of this meeting can be viewed on the Council's YouTube channel

Re: Planning Applications Committee Meeting(Virtual) - Wednesday, 29 September 2021 at 2.00pm. 2 months ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
5/10/2021

Published Barrhead News On Line -

News

1 hr ago

East Renfrewshire: Mearns Castle sports facilities upgrade

By Drew Sandelands Local Democracy Reporter

Sports facilities at an East Renfrewshire school are to be upgraded after plans for an all-weather athletics track and artificial pitch were given the go-ahead.

The proposals for Mearns Castle High, submitted by council chiefs, have been divisive, with 64 letters of support and 63 objections submitted to the planning committee.

Provost Jim Fletcher said an upgrade to the school’s sports field was “desperately needed” but councillors voted to impose a condition which means the facility will have to shut at 7pm from Monday to Friday, rather than the 8pm suggested by council officers.

The school had suggested a 7pm closing time.

A council officer said the facilities would only be for educational use, including sporting events with other schools, which could be in the early evenings or Saturday mornings.

Objectors expressed concerns over the glare from proposed floodlights, increased noise, a loss of privacy, more traffic and inconsiderate parking.

Those in support of the application believe the improvement of the facilities will have exercise and health-related benefits.

Provost Fletcher said: “Mearns Castle has poorer facilities than most of our other high schools and I think the upgrade is desperately needed.

“Clearly that is recognised by the school community, given the level of support there is for this application.

“I do think we need to keep Mearns Castle at the forefront as one of our premier schools. The children that go there deserve the best facilities that we as a council can give them.”

Provost Fletcher said he was “surprised” by the restriction on opening hours, adding: “I don’t personally see the need to go to 7pm, given other schools are running until 10pm at least.”

However, Councillor Jim Swift suggested the 7pm closing time and his amendment passed by four votes to three.

He said: “There is a significantly greater proximity of houses to these sports facilities than there are in other local facilities. They are literally across the road."

Councillor Stewart Miller added: “I can remember playing hockey on that field many, many years ago and I don’t think it will have been upgraded ever since.

“I would suggest that this playing field really does need an update for Mearns Castle, one of the biggest schools we’ve got.

“I live very close to Williamwood High School and I see the lights on Williamwood burning to 10pm at night. A lot of the neighbours have a lot of problems with the lights there.”

The track and sports pitch will be able to open from 9am until 7pm on Mondays to Fridays and from 9am until 1pm on Saturdays.

Re: Planning Applications Committee Meeting(Virtual) - Wednesday, 29 September 2021 at 2.00pm. 2 months ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
5/10/2021

Published Barrhead News On Line -

News

3 hrs ago

East Renfrewshire: Plan for lock-up garages rejected

By Drew Sandelands Local Democracy Reporter

A BID to build 27 lock-up garages has been rejected by East Renfrewshire Council after more than 50 objections were received from neighbours.

Joiner Properties Ltd wanted to develop land to the rear of flats in Alexander Avenue, Eaglesham.

However, some residents were worried the lock-ups would lead to increased traffic and parking problems, a loss of privacy and more noise. They also feared the plans would cause displacement of bins.

Councillor Jim McLean said: “I’ve received quite a lot of complaints about this. I still don’t see where they are going to put 27 garages.

“It’s going to make it a nightmare for the residents down there. Where are the bins going to go? There’s 52 representations but, believe me, I’ve had more complaints than that.

“I would wholeheartedly reject this. It’s just going to be far too many cars out on the road.”

The developers had advised that the lock-up garages would be used as "a vehicle or personal storage facility and rented out via a lettings agency for residents in the local area.”

Planning officers at the council recommended refusal of the application.

In a report, they stated: “The applicant has advised that the garages would not be let for commercial or businesses purposes.

“Notwithstanding, the garages would not be tied to the flatted blocks and would be let on the open market (albeit to a restricted customer base).

“For this reason, it is considered that the proposal is a commercial use. The introduction of a commercial use onto the site is considered to be significantly out of character with the residential nature of the area.”

Provost Jim Fletcher said he had “never seen anything like this before.”

“I’m puzzled," he added. "Some of the objections say they are not large enough to house cars. I’m trying to get my head round what the purpose of them is.”

A council officer said that, while the garages would be “big enough to hold some cars,” they did not meet the standards set by the council’s roads team.

In a submission to the planning committee, the roads team said: “The proposed garages do not meet the required dimensions and are therefore not acceptable.

“The garages may displace vehicles onto the adjacent public road, which could pose a risk to road safety and is therefore not acceptable.”
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds