Username Password: Remember me

Concerns with regards to Bollard placements
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Concerns with regards to Bollard placements

Concerns with regards to Bollard placements 4 months, 3 weeks ago #1

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
It has come to light that many residents and drivers are concerned in relation to the placement of bollards on Ayr Road, Newton Mearns.

The residents are concerned that these bollards are indeed a safety hazard.

ERC agreed that they be installed after being funded by Sus Trans, a charity, who are concerned with cyclists safety.

The cones were intended to segregate cyclists safely from traffic, however campaigners claim that they are indeed a hazard.

Holding up traffic flow and indeed many cyclists do not use the lanes.

At present these cones and segregated lanes run from Newton Mearns Cross to Eastwood Toll.

There is a facebook page that is devoted to this issue which can be found at Action Against East Renfrewshire Bollards

There is also a petition that can be accessed at
www.change.org/p/east-renfrewshire-counc...r-road-newton-mearns

Residents who use this road to access Giffnock of the City Centre are asked to consider signing the petition if they agree that these cones should be removed.

257343785_10226462187320155_6486098801804127765_n.jpg

Photo courtesy of Fiona Mason

There will be much more on this story in the future.

Re: Concerns with regards to Bollard placements 4 months, 3 weeks ago #2

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
An additional petition has been launched regarding the cones that have been placed on Fenwick Road, Giffnock and run towards the main area of Giffnock. (This petition was created by someone other than Action Against East Renfrewshire Bollards)

This can be accesed at
www.change.org/remove-the-bollards-in-gi...and-protect-cyclists

Re: Concerns with regards to Bollard placements 4 months, 2 weeks ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
13/01/2022

Published Barrhead News On Line -

News

2 hrs ago

East Renfrewshire: Pressure on council to ditch bollards

By Norman Silvester Reporter

East Renfrewshire Council is under growing pressure to ditch a controversial cycle lane bollards scheme.

Hundreds of black and white cones were placed on a two-mile stretch of the Ayr Road, between Giffnock and Newton Mearns, five months ago to segregate cycle lanes going in either direction.

The move has infuriated a number of local residents, who have been campaigning to have them removed.

They claim the bollards are an eyesore and have caused major disruption to traffic and their daily lives.

Now members of the Conservative group on East Renfrewshire Council have joined the protest.

Councillor Gordon Wallace, who is group leader, Councillor Jim McLean and three candidates who will stand for the Tories at the local elections in May – Andrew Morrison, Paul Smith and Paul Edlin – said the bollards are a misuse of public money.

“The introduction of the bollards was designed as a temporary response to the Covid-19 pandemic to create space for physical distancing,” said Councillor Wallace.

“The poor quality of the segregation used is starting to tell and the current set-up is clearly not a long-term solution for the future.

We need a solution which will remove the bollards, maintain traffic flow and increase on-street parking.”

Residents in Ayr Road say the cones have been a major hazard for drivers, homeowners and cyclists since they first appeared on August 10 and have an impact on the value of their homes.

To date, 2,300 people have signed an anti-bollard petition launched last September and an ‘Action Against East Renfrewshire Bollards’ Facebook group has also been set up.

However, council chiefs have denied the bollards are a misuse of public funds, saying the funding given to the local authority can only be spent on that type of project.

A spokesperson added: “Since December 2020, we’ve been trialling temporary protected cycle lanes on the A77, which also supports a temporary speed limit reduction from 40mph to 30mph on Ayr Road.

“The trial is an opportunity to fully assess impacts on road users and residents, which in turn provides evidence to inform the design of any potential permanent measures.

“A decision on whether to retain, modify or remove the measures will be taken in June.”

Re: Concerns with regards to Bollard placements 4 months ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
28/1/2022

Cllr David MacDonald has posted on facebook page -

www.facebook.com/MacdonaldTheIndependent/

Cllr David Macdonald - An Independent voice for people.
10 hrs ·

Friends. There has been a lot of chat going on recently in the neighbouring ward in Giffnock about the bollards on Ayr Road.

There may be, sometime in the near future, changes made to roads in our ward to create spaces separated for cyclists.

I would welcome your comments or suggestions as to what you would like to see or you think would work best.

The roads that would be considered would be Busby/EK Rd, Eaglesham Rd, Eastwoodmains Rd and Clarkston Rd.

It is very important that we have all points of view considered and heard.

The public consultation in Giffnock was very muted in my view and it is important that we have a far more robust engagement with the public in our ward.

Please feel free to leave your two cents in the comments.

Thanks.

Comments -

- Ayr Rd was always going to be easier to do simply because of the width and the type of housing, which all has off street parking. To do the same in many of the roads you mention won’t be nearly as easy so it’ll take some smart thinking, which seems rarely evident, from our council leadership.
10 h · Edited

- All for creating cycle lanes but don’t instal bollards like Ayr rd, they’re dangerous for both cyclists and drivers and create issues for emergency vehicles and like. Should also mention the ongoing maintenance costs associated with them which are ludicrous.
10 h

- Great that cyclists are being protected but the council has to clean the lanes or the cyclists won’t use them. The new Highway Code rules being considered by parliament tomorrow also state a cyclist doesn’t have to use a cycle lane even if it’s provided. If this happens (as the lane isn’t being cleaned) then it’ll cause even more chaos to what’s left of the road for vehicles especially as the cyclist is being advised to cycle in middle of their lane now rather than towards pavement edge.
9 h

- I cycle into the city centre down Victoria Rd, it’s a great route. They’ve preserved the parking, and it takes me through an area I rarely visit previously, I stop and buy stuff.
I would rarely consider driving to the city centre. I’ll just jump on that bike/train/bus. I mainly shop in Giffnock, it’s quicker to cycle than drive. We’ve got to get into that mentality for short local trips. Roads jam packed with cars don’t make for a pleasant environment.
9 h

- Unfortunately this is already going ahead. Plans will have already been drawn up probably by sultrans who is running the project who gives their ideas to the council who just seem to sign it off.
The only way it will ever work is to build or extend the pavements and have a designated cycle lane drawn up there and use of the roads aren’t allowed. This would help the motorists,pedestrians and cyclists.
But we all know that won’t happen and the project which is all over the uk and being disguised as though it’s a trial for the health and safety banner which is false. This is purely to discourage vehicles and cause tailbacks etc so we are forced into public transport.
I’ve still to see any surveys that has taken place since the Fenwick and Ayr Rd shambles in how it’s improved the use of cycling of the environment.it’s actually made safety worse by forcing drivers around bin lorry’s or tail backs polluting the air. Still to see an increase of cyclists
9 h · Edited

- Theres barley enough room for cars to drive up and down Busby/EK road as it is !! Ridiculous idea !!!!
5 h

- There is no way a cycle lane on Busby/EK would work, the road is far too narrow, this may be a stupid idea but would we not be better developing cycle lanes beside train lines or something along those lines? They are completely flat so would be easy to ride and safe if there was a big fence separating.
1 h

- No point in creating any separate lanes as they are not compulsory to use
1 h

- I cycle to work and find Eastwoodmains Road and Busby Road to be very intimidating to cycle on with the speed of cards, so any improvements for cycling would be greatly appreciated. I don't cycle on Clarkston Road due to the traffic but I would if it had a cycle lane. We need to have less cars going into Glasgow, especially if they are going to introduce car restrictions in the city centre at some point, so this is a positive step.
1 h

- No one wants to see cyclists injured or worse killed but the motorists pay a licence fee to use the roads and more and more are being restricted to what they can do and where they can go. The money spent on bollards, which are very unstable, could be spent on creating roads which are safer at the kerb for bikes to use or perhaps more lowered kerbs for wheelchair users to use. Also bikes riding at 2 and 3 and at times on Ayr Road I have even spotted 4 bikes riding abreast is a hazard for motorists. Perhaps some sort of official test for cyclists would be an advantage as motorists are already sitting a driving test before being allowed to use the roads. Sorry if this doesn’t please everyone but I felt I wanted to comment.
46 m

- The bollards narrow the cycle lane on Ayr road making it less safe. They require continual maintenance adding cost the council. They have been one of the worst decisions and the public sentiment was against them. Even amongst hardcore cyclists who now find they can’t move out to avoid hazards.
30 m

Re: Concerns with regards to Bollard placements 4 months ago #5

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
28/1/2022

Further Comments -

- No one wants to see cyclists injured or worse killed but the motorists pay a licence fee to use the roads and more and more are being restricted to what they can do and where they can go.
The money spent on bollards, which are very unstable, could be spent on creating roads which are safer at the kerb for bikes to use or perhaps more lowered kerbs for wheelchair users to use.
Also bikes riding at 2 and 3 and at times on Ayr Road I have even spotted 4 bikes riding abreast is a hazard for motorists.
Perhaps some sort of official test for cyclists would be an advantage as motorists are already sitting a driving test before being allowed to use the roads.
Sorry if this doesn’t please everyone but I felt I wanted to comment.
6 h

- Many cyclists (like me) also have a car and already pay to use the roads. More cycling means less cars on the road.
3 h

Author
When you say licence fee is this referring to Vehicle Excise Duty? (Commonly what many refer to as road tax)
It should be noted that road maintenance is not paid for from revenue generated from vehicle excise duty.
Local road repairs are paid for for the most part directly from council road budgets.
Roads like Ayr Rd and East Kilbride form part of the national transport network and are usually funded by Transport Scotland.
Vehicle excise duty for most vehicles is now determined by emissions.
The higher polluting car you have the more you pay.
Hence the reason E cars are rated at £0 per anum and most hybrids at around £30 a year.
Given that bicycles give off no emissions, similar to an electric car, even if they were subjected to filing for VED they would be rated at £0 per anum. I agree that cyclists should pass a proficiency test before being allowed to ride on the road.
I also believe cyclists should by law be forced to wear helmets, similar to motorcyclists and to wear hi Viz clothing after dusk and also have front and rear lights on after dusk.
Riding without lights should come with a fixed penalty issued by police.
Such changes would be designed to keep everyone far safer.
It is illegal to drive a car without a seatbelt.
Why is it not the case for Cyclists and helmets?
This should also be strictly enforced.
We need to make Scotland more equipped to accommodate cycling as an alternative but also need to crack down on cyclists who give others a bad name.
I enjoy riding my bike but riding on roads around the greater Glasgow is not safe at all.
We need a joined up and respectful approach from all involved.
Motorists and cyclists can share the roads respectfully.
1 h

- Segregated cycle lanes like those on Victoria road or on the A77 at the greenhags recycling centre are the way to go, however these are only feasible if there is space for them.
The ideal situation is one in which kids would be safe cycling in the cycle lanes without the threat of being run over.
The idea above about paths following train lines is a good one, especially between Clarkston and East Kilbride where there are no cycle lanes.
The biggest issue I find with the Bollards on the Ayr road is the few inconsiderate motorists that block the cycle path and ignore parking restrictions and common sense.
I have also experienced a truck blocking the cycle lane completely at East Ren golf club, treating the cycle lane as a parking space.
5 h

- The issue I find with the bollards, especially Ayr Road is that there is not enough space.
If an emergency vehicle comes up behind you there is nowhere to go, if the cycle lane was not segregated you can pull into it safely.
Also, when we had snow a few weeks ago, so many bollards were hit, mainly because Ayr Road was so icy, which is probably another issue regarding gritting.
4 h

- The Ayr road is now a 30mph limit and as such does not need to have a central reservation.
Make this into a normal 2 way road to give the space for a segregated cycle path.
2 h

- When I watched what was happening to Ayr Road I thought it was temporary. Now as I drive up or down it is completely spoiled.
The lovely houses and gardens on either side for me have lost their beauty because of this eyesore.
Please at least take the bollards away.
49 m

Re: Concerns with regards to Bollard placements 3 months, 4 weeks ago #6

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
29/1/2022

Latest Further Comments -

- Is the problem riders not wearing helmets? Or is it cars hitting them?
18 h

- both car users & cyclists should look for ways to make everyone safer. If a cyclist doesn’t wear a helmet then they are totally disregarding an item of safety. Even hitting a kerb or a pothole can unseat a cyclist.....surely wearing a helmet is common sense?
I can not ever see a car owner being given a choice of airbags or none & choosing the no airbag option.
17 h Edited

- Author
I would imagine there is a combination of both. My concern is also the amount of motorists who are distracted by mobile phone use while in close proximity to cyclists. Riding without a helmet is, for me, not realistic or smart. Same with lights and hi Viz at night.
16 h

- The new Highway Code recommends cyclists to cycle in the middle of the lane so they are visible to road users. Would they use separate areas with bollards or prefer the freedom of cycling on the road, where they can cycle in pairs. I’ve not seen a large number of cyclists using the paths on Ayr Road. Does the council have data on the number of users? How would this impact homeowners on main roads and the ability to access their driveways. Roads such as Eaglesham Road and Busby Road are much narrower than Ayr Road which was previously two lanes on either side. With a car parked on E Road, you need to go over the central markings to pass. How on earth could a separate area be created on either side. Also there are several schools around E Road and school parking to be considered. After seeing the new aesthetic of Ayr Road, I think I’d be moving if the council put bollards outside my home. Thanks for the opportunity to voice opinion David!
12 h
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds