Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Re: Suitable Adapted Property from East Renfrewshire Council
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Re: Suitable Adapted Property from East Renfrewshire Council

Re: Suitable Adapted Property from East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 5 months ago #7

• Bro-oli
Gordon McCaskill wrote:
Got the answer back - firstly, there is an acute shortage of 3 and 4 bedroom properties on the Eastwood side of the Authority, particularly houses which are all on the one level which I suspect you would require. There is less of a shortage on the Levern Valley side, but given that you are a user of this site i am assuming you currently live in Eastwood.

Given your previous post I assume you have already been in contact with the Housing Service, I can tell you that the Housing Manager is happy to speak to you about your problem and hopefully same. His name is Mr. Phil Daws and can e.mailed at the Council.

I have spoken to Eddie Gray with regards to this and he has told me there is no properties available. So it is basically how long is a piece a string as to how long we have to live this this.

Re: Suitable Adapted Property from East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 5 months ago #8

Unfortunately, as is the case elsewhere in the country, the Council's main target is the identification and purchase of one-bedroomed properties which are in even shorter supply than 3 and 4 bedroomed properties. What are living with here is degree of strategic planning short-sightedness going back over many years which will take a long time to rectify.

Re: Suitable Adapted Property from East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 5 months ago #9

• lasercow
  • Administrator
Surely single roomed accommodation should be prioritised for tenants wanting to vacate 3-4 bedroom properties? Not young single people, homeless of their own accord, who could rent on the private sector and claim housing benefit? I really can't figure out ERC sometimes.

Re: Suitable Adapted Property from East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 5 months ago #10

Sounds sensible, Lasercow, unfortunately the Council are required to obey the law. In regard to Housing there have been Housing Acts in 2003,2006,2009, 2012 and yet another one is in the pipeline. In fact the amount of legislation has been so horrendous that some Councils are still trying to implement parts of the 2003 Act. In my lighter amounts I offer that a radical change of policy would compel the Scottish Government to stop legislating on Housing for at least another 20 years so we can digest the current dollops of legislation.

However, in relation to your point, thanks to the 2012 Act homelessness has absolute priority for a Council house. Now there is an argument that there should be a distinction between intentionally and unintentionally homeless. I happen to agree with that distinction - I am in the minority.

The argument hinges on whether people have the intellectual capacity to understand tenancy agreements. If they don't then, by definition, there is no intent which requires a certain intellectual capacity. What is perhaps interesting about this position is that it actually supports Boris Johnson's recent speech. Although the policy's supporters would probably argue vehemently that this is not the case. I'll leave you to be the judge.

Re: Suitable Adapted Property from East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 5 months ago #11

• Gerry
Should the council not then be demanding of builders when they get planning permission that they build a selection of one bedroom houses for the council, never mind affordable housing.

Re: Suitable Adapted Property from East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 5 months ago #12

• Bro-oli
People who have been born and bred on the Eastwood side of the authority cannot get properties in Eastwood. Yet people from the Levern Valley side can get houses in the Eastwood side this does not make any sense.
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds