Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Do we have an effective opposition in East Renfrewshire Council
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Do we have an effective opposition in East Renfrewshire Council

Re: Do we have an effective opposition in East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 6 months ago #19

As I understand it, the new denominational joint campus enjoys the support of both religious communities which I find something of a curiosity as they didn't even consider it for Robslee Primary.

Re: Do we have an effective opposition in East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 6 months ago #20

• Concerned ERC Parent
They are not building thousands of new houses around Robslee. So maybe that would have given them too many catchment areas to change.

But again throws up the question, how much bigger will OLM get along now with St Cadoc's?

I think one of the religious communities should be keeping an eye on this before its too late again.

Re: Do we have an effective opposition in East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 6 months ago #21

• lasercow
  • Administrator
Gordon McCaskill wrote:
As I understand it, the new denominational joint campus enjoys the support of both religious communities which I find something of a curiosity as they didn't even consider it for Robslee Primary.

We would have done absolutely anything to stay at Robslee - we had no problem with them sharing our facilities (eg gym), if they were a bit pushed. Neighbouring schools should really co-operate, instead of being divided by an invisible wall.

We also suggested a way of bringing CWL onto the site, and building a new OLM in a more central location for its catchment (at the old Isobel Mair site). I can't remember the details, but it was completely misconstrued and dismissed out of hand by Lafferty. Cllr McCaskill suggested something similar for the old IM site.

I've heard that the parents at CWL are quite happy where they are, but they see no point in objecting, as ERC will do whatever they want. Are there numbers still going down? I wonder if the move closer to "the community" will increase the numbers of applicants to it?

Re: Do we have an effective opposition in East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 6 months ago #22

• Concerned ERC Parent
The CWL one is got to be about selling the existing school land and the cost of keeping it open. I wonder how many pupils attend.

On the location of the new school, it's got to be down to the plans for Newton Mearns. Otherwise a Robslee shared campus would have worked if everyone agreed to it.

Are these questions asked by opposition Cllrs? Does anyone ask why? Or let's see a business case or what are the alternatives?

They are saying Newton Mearns to relieve pressure on St Cadoc's, then they say it will have no impact on St Ninian's because it's still St Cadoc's catchment. It doesn't make sense.

Re: Do we have an effective opposition in East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 6 months ago #23

The main driver for selling CWL, I would think, is the locational anomaly, that is to say an East Renfrewshire school sited in Glasgow. Clearly where a school is sited in another local authority it cannot, by definition, have a catchment so entry can only be by placing request.

If the new campus is located in East Renfrewshire then it will have a catchment presumably covering the whole of East Renfrewshire given the unique religious ethos of the school.

Re: Do we have an effective opposition in East Renfrewshire Council 10 years, 6 months ago #24

• Concerned ERC Parent
Na. It's got to be the money. Is it costing £9.5m?

How much for the existing CWL building and how much to maintain per year?

Throw in the fact that Newton Mearns needs a new denominational primary due to house building.

If you are poor at planning and management and don't care about catchments and oversubscribed schools then I think this makes more sense.
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds