Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Have your say on the Council Budget
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Have your say on the Council Budget

Re: Have your say on the Council Budget 11 years, 4 months ago #7

Scotland's largest local authority may indeed be 'committed' to rebuilding their entire school stock in the same way as I am 'committed' to getting a Ferrari Dino Spyder - doesn't mean it's going to happen.

The question is this - is there 'commitment' backed up by hard cash? Well no it isn't.

MORAL: Labour is just as good at unwarranted assertions as the SNP because their supporters fall for it every time.

Re: Have your say on the Council Budget 11 years, 4 months ago #8

• Concerned ERC Parent
I heard most Cllr's have Ferrari's these days

Do you think with the schools being full and all this new building that we could see schools being shared across councils where there is space? Or cross border catchment areas?

Especially if the buildings are new and have great facilities like the new Eastwood High for example?

Re: Have your say on the Council Budget 11 years, 4 months ago #9

• lasercow
  • Administrator
Glasgow have already had a large programme, as have South Lanarkshire - I pass the results every day of the week.

Glasgow undertook a series of school closures a couple of years ago. But like the recently announced consultations in East Dunbartonshire, new builds were provided for the merged schools.

Nowhere else in the country are children and parents treated as we were.

Re: Have your say on the Council Budget 11 years, 4 months ago #10

Lasercow, unfortunately what you're alluding to is capital spend which is a one-off. These savings have to be made year on year till at least 2027.

Re: Have your say on the Council Budget 11 years, 4 months ago #11

Certainly Glasgow has a very large programme and they are doing some building work, so is ERC. However, doing some building work and upgrading your entire school estate in the short term is a complete fantasy. I think you'll find that 'commitment' extends into the far future when 'hopefully' there is cash available, though don't hold your breath.

Re: Have your say on the Council Budget 11 years, 4 months ago #12

• Concerned ERC Parent
Don't know if this is better on this thread, Robslee or St Ninian's. This is a hilarious letter in this week's "Lessor" as DJ would call it. During the school consultations we predicted that the actions & decisions taken then would actually lead to more funding being required in the not so long term and that was before we knew the true extent of the house building. So I guess this is also relevant to this thread although it could cover multiple topics.

What's in a name?

Now that East Renfrewshire Council has confirmed that the Robslee primary school campus is to continue as a functioning publicly funded primary school, perhaps the parents of Robslee children might consider continuing to use their local facility which is to all intents and purposes being merged with the adjacent Our Lady of the Missions primary school (OLM).

This would significantly reduce the longer travel to Giffnock primary school, avoid the hazards of Robslee children having to cross Fenwick Road and arguably secure Robsee children the best public education in Scotland.

Whilst a new name maybe in order, perhaps to celebrate the creation of a truly muti-denominational school, I appreciate that the facility may change name to OLM.

But what is in a name? The fact that OLM has a particular religious element to it's curriculum would arguably widen a non practising pupil's perspective; it would certainly not compel any observance of a particular faith.

Definite priorities for our children are their safety, their education and sense of community and understaning of others.

All would be well served if families in the current Robslee catchment area broke the expectation that they will meekly comply with the desire of a local council which they feel has let them down.

This is not radical - indeed, continuing to attend the merged faciltiy is exactly what would happen in the same situation in virtually every other country in the developed world.

Attendance of OLM would have the added benefit of securing places in St Ninian's high school - frequently the top performing school in Scotland; that is an option deserving of serious consideration by any parent who wishes to give their child the best start in life.

So on top of the million pound tube, another £30M required soon, or multiple costly extensions in Barrhead? The author is correct, let's do it, we deserve it....
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds